The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

Baking Equipment

Any questions or recommendations dealing with stand mixers, baking stones, or any other baking equipment.

Ricko's picture

Mechanical bakers scale

March 6, 2010 - 1:06pm -- Ricko

I'm interested in a mechanical professional bread scale. Having had the LCD go bad on my second Salter digital scale, I'm back in the scale market once again. I do about seven loaves at a time so the ingredient weights are large enough that a scale like a Penn that does 1/4 ounce increments would work just fine.Unfortunately, I have no experience with that brand of scale or any professional bakers scale.

So I'd just like to query those of you who do use a professional mechanical scale as to your preferred brand.

RudyH's picture

Lame use of lame

March 4, 2010 - 12:34pm -- RudyH

I bought myself a treat, a jin-yoo-wine baker's lame. Problem is that my slashes look very amateurish. Have you got any tips for improving the quality of the slashes I make in, say, baguettes? The flaw in my technique seems to be related to a reluctance to slit too deeply.

Thanks!

dwcoleman's picture

used bakers oven

March 2, 2010 - 7:22am -- dwcoleman

Good deal or not?

I found it on Kijiji for $750CDN.  It will take four full size sheet pans and is convection.

According to the owner, it does not have steam injection, which I really wanted for baguettes.  The internal shot is much cleaner than the exterior.  I think some elbow grease and new knobs will clean it up.

It takes 220 @ 40A to run.

oven

Andrew S's picture

Sandwich pans

February 23, 2010 - 8:13am -- Andrew S

Help!

I am trying to find "proper" sandwich pans, the type with a lid that produce a square loaf.  While I am on the subject, if it does not have a lid, it is called tin bread and not sanswich. 

ironically, I used to be a bakery lecturer and we had dozens of these in use all the time.  Cant find one for love nor money now though!

Any ideas would be much apprecieated.

Many thanks,

Andrew

cgmeyer2's picture

Clay Pot Breads

February 20, 2010 - 2:46pm -- cgmeyer2

i have recently made 2 breads using a clay pot baker (romertopt). i was inspired by mini oven's post about green earth clay bread bakers.

the first loaf was processed in my welbilt bread maker on the dough cycle.

the 2nd loaf was processed using my food proceesor for the initial mixing/kneading & then following the directions for floydm's 'your first loaf - a primer...'

judiandjeff's picture

Best Stand Mixer for Bread, not KA

February 20, 2010 - 7:02am -- judiandjeff

About to replace my KA 5 qt. Want the best, but Hobart too expensive. Need advice among Bosch, Electrolux (are they still made?), Viking, and any other I missed. I assume these are in the $600 range or so, a little more is ok.

I searched here, and other sites online, and no one seems to be willing to say which they think is the best.

Thanks

dablues's picture

Bought A New Mixer

February 19, 2010 - 7:15am -- dablues

I decided to buy a new stand mixer.  The one I have now is a Kitchen Aid, bowl lift, with some extra attachments.  I consered Bosch, and others, but decided on the Viking.  I never used Viking.  Anyone own one?  Now have to decide who gets my Kitchen Aid.  Am considering my stepson's wife in NY, or my friend in FL. 

jsk's picture

Bannetons- what size and shapes do you use?

February 16, 2010 - 1:00pm -- jsk

I'm about to buy 2 proofing baskets (bannetons) and a little confused about the size I shuold get.

What bannetons do you like to use?

I think I will go for proofing baskets that can contain a 1.5lb dough but also holds nicely a 1lb dough. Is tere such a thing? If not, what size should I get for 1.5lb loafs?

And also, what shape do think is the most convenient?

Thanks for your help!

Jonathan,

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Baking Equipment