Lucy started off to do a more complicated bread by getting the 5 grain sprouts going on Wednesday but we forgot about the new Fig Yeast Water we started last Friday from the re-hydration soaking water left over from last week’s bake. We wanted to include it in a SD / YW combo bake but it took a day longer than planned to get up to full ramming speed.
It was also very cold again with the house hovering at 62 F overnight. We were too lazy to get the heating pad out till this morning for the dough so both of the overnight levains were very slow with the SD one the worse for the cold. Now I was worried the bread wouldn’t get out of the oven before the wife got home to yell at me again:-) I only had 8 hours total from mix to cooling rack and it is still 62 F in the kitchen.
The YW levain had managed to double overnight but the SD one only managed 50%. The levain mix was 30% whole sprouted rye, spelt, Kamut, red and white wheat in equal amounts. The bran from the sprouted flour was used for the SD levain's first build since it is SD LAB that really benefit from the buffering effect of the bran and there isn’t any LAB in yeast water. All of the whole sprouted grains were in the two levains.
We incorrectly thought the YW would be slower than the SD so we used the bulk of the high extraction sprouted flour for the YW levain at 18% pre-fermented flour and the bran SD levain came in at 12% pre-fermented flour for a total of 30% pre-fermented flour – a whopping total amount for Lucy ......but it is very cold, the heating pad can only do so much and I’m tired of being yelled at for not getting the bread out of the oven in time!
We autolyzed the LaFama AP dough flour for 30 minutes with the remaining water that brought the overall hydration to 78%. Once the levains hit the mix, we did 60 slap and folds to get it all incorporated and then did 2 more sets of 10 slap and folds and 3 sets of 4 stretch and folds – all on 30 minute intervals. We let the dough rest for a half an hour before pre-shaping and shaping into a boule for the rice floured basket.
It had risen about 25% during gluten development and bulk ferment stage. It sat on the heating pad for 1 1/2 hours proofing away before it was time to preheat the oven and combo cooker to 500 F. We unmolded the dough onto parchment on a peel, slashed the top tic-tack-toe style and slid it into the CC and then into the oven between the top and bottom stones for 18 minutes of steam.
Yes it is a half pound lamb burger with cheese - only ate half at a time though!
After 5 minutes, we turned the oven down to 450 F. When the lid came off, the bread had bloomed and sprang well enough and now it was just a matter of 12 more minutes of dry heat at 425 F with the fan on. It browned up nicely and hit 209 F on the inside when it was removed to the cooling rack.
It was 5 hours from mixing to being out of the oven for this bread. Can’t wait to taste it and see how it fares for a fast bread without commercial yeast. We will have to wait on the crumb shots until tonight's gumbo requires sopping up!. It turned out to be what we thought it would be. Moderately open. very moist and slightly sour bread .
Perfect for sandwiches and sopping up the gumbo.... and the gumbo was killer lots of Swai, shrimp, Andouille and chicken with that dark roux. We couldn't stop eating it.
12% prefermented flour SD Bran Levain using 5 grain sprouted flour and NMNF rye starter at 100% hydration
18% prefermented High Extraction 5 grain sprouted flour at 100% hydratiom
70% LaFama AP
enough water for 78% ovderall hydration
2% PH sea salt
Here is the Recipe Queen when she isn't resting. She wnats to taste that Naan real bad.
2 g of Instant yeast
400 g of LaFama AP Four
280 g water with 20 g NFDMP
8 g PH sea salt
25 g of butter - don't incorporate the butter until the dough is fully hydrated.
25 g of sugar
Lucy says to have a salad with that Chicken Tikka Masala and Naan made on the grill - both were fantastic.