The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

Baking Equipment

Any questions or recommendations dealing with stand mixers, baking stones, or any other baking equipment.

dablues's picture

DLX or Bosch

March 27, 2010 - 10:49am -- dablues

I'm interested in a second mixer and am undecided on the DLX & Bosch.  I've read reviews on sites on both but am still not sure which one.  Anyone who ones the Bosch & DLX, if you can give me your input on the machine, it would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Yumarama's picture

Anyone have experience with wood baking frames?

March 26, 2010 - 7:10pm -- Yumarama

I ran across this blog post yesterday and it got me interested. The blogger, theinversecook, used a wooden baking frame to make his very straight sided heavy rye bread. Since I can't seem to locate a Pullman pan anywhere nearby (online they cost an arm & a leg to ship up from the states) I thought maybe this would make a decent substitute.

Bonus points for having the ability to make it any size I may darn well want.

jennyloh's picture

Baking Stone & Bannetons - Any place in Charlotte, NC that I can get?

March 25, 2010 - 8:53am -- jennyloh

I'd be going to US,  and researching to get a stone and perhaps some bannetons as well from there, carry it back all the way here.....:) (hopefully it won't break along the way).  How heavy does pizza baking stone weigh? Does anyone know if there's any place within Charlotte, NC, US that I can shop for some baking supplies?

Josh's picture

Bannetons

March 23, 2010 - 10:56pm -- Josh

Hello everyone.

I'm a baker in Sydney, Australia.

Bannetons and other proofing baskets are hard to come by in this part of the world so I need to buy some bannetons online.

I'm just wondering whether its worth the money - so far the oval bannetons I've found on the internet are about $32-$35 each (thats AUD so in USD probably $30ish or so).

To what extent will proofing in a banneton have a bearing on the result?  I understand that they are to provide support to a proofing loaf as well as put a nice uniform pattern on it.

hilo_kawika's picture

Dutch Oven Safety Device

March 22, 2010 - 1:07pm -- hilo_kawika

I don't know if I'm the only one to be worried about removing the hot lid of a Dutch oven during the baking process but it seems to me to have serious potential for something to go wrong.

So I came up with this idea, which I've used about 6-8 times with ease and success.  As shown in the first picture the device is a stick that's 27" long, 1 1/8" wide and 7/8" thick.

Doc Tracy's picture

Viking 7qt-Are they any good? No reviews on the website

March 20, 2010 - 8:44am -- Doc Tracy

I'm in the market for a new mixer and noticed that the Viking on the King Arthur website looks pretty nice. But, there are virtually no reviews on the 7qt, 1,000watt mixer. Just wondering what your experiences are with this line of mixer and/or if there would be a better mixer in the $500 range to replace my puny 4qt 300watt kitchen aid. I will be delegating my KA to the tasks of egg whipping, preparing produce for the freezer and grinding meat into hamburger, saving the bigger dough tasks for a tougher mixer.

arumugam49's picture

OTG quiry

March 19, 2010 - 7:36pm -- arumugam49

I am from India. I have a Morphy Richard 40 litre OTG. In that there is a

"spice tray". I donot know why they provide this. In the manual also

there is no explanation except how to remove & fix back the tray.

From the name I persume  that I can keep some spice in that to give

flavour to baked stuff. I may not be correct. Can any one help me to

use this tray & what spice has to be kept for what item.

Niashi's picture

Not sure where to go next for loaf pans.

March 16, 2010 - 12:37am -- Niashi

Greetings,

I read a thread with reviews that highly recommended Williams-Sonoma Goldtouch loaf pans, but they're on back order for a month and a half, so I was curious what other recommendations people can place out there.

Are the Romertopf clay bread bakers any good for example? I have a Romertopf 111 incoming already, but that doesn't handle standard sized loaves.

I'm looking for a nice even bake.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Baking Equipment