The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

Baking Equipment

Any questions or recommendations dealing with stand mixers, baking stones, or any other baking equipment.

kolobezka's picture

Materials suitable for baking temperatures

January 10, 2010 - 1:25pm -- kolobezka

After several attempts with teflon cookware / bakeware, I have realized that even "good quality teflon" starts taking off soon. Also, when I measure temperature on the baking sheet in the first minutes of baking bread, it often reaches 500°F... which may not be safe. Well, I decided to get rid of all teflon...

Please, could you help me to choose baking equipment from other, safe materials that can be used at high temepratures as well?

Lindley's picture

Dealing with wet dough - ciabatta, etc

January 9, 2010 - 2:34pm -- Lindley

Hi!

I'd like to bake a bread out of wet dough, e.g. ciabatta, pain bale, but I'm not sure about equipment. I have two options (well, plus doing it by hand - but I'm a novice) - either use blender/stand mixer with "dough knife", or pre-historic handheld mixer, which only has one speed (if it works at all). Pictures are attached. What would be best to use? Thanks!

dwcoleman's picture

my new old mixer

January 7, 2010 - 7:38pm -- dwcoleman

I bought the 20 quart mixer used about a month ago, it had problems starting, blew fuses, and smelt very bad.

I've cleaned it up, replaced the start motor capacitor and just made a 10lb batch of baguette dough.

The dough came together amazingly quick on the first speed, it only took 2-3 minutes to develop.

Here are some pics:

logdrum's picture

Anyone "go rogue" with a spiral dough hook?

January 7, 2010 - 6:11am -- logdrum

Has anyone tried using a KA spiral dough hook on a model not specifically listed as intended for its use? I have a 20 y/o KSM5 (5 qt.) that is driving me nuts w/ the dough climbing up the "c" hook. Otherwise, it's a great machine that hasn't given me one second of trouble in 20 years of use.

-d

mabaker's picture

Do you use Bannetons for all of your breads?

January 6, 2010 - 10:10am -- mabaker

Hi!

I usually make breads with prefermented dough- like Pain Paysan, French Bread, beer bread etc...

These doughs are pretty stable...after reviewing this forum I saw that many of you are using the proofing baskets.

Do you use it for any bread or mostly to high hydrated breads like the sour dough.

Just curious....

Going to do my first order from FSBI so if you have some recommendations...please do!

Thanks!!!

mabaker's picture

need some help before doing my first bread workshop!

January 5, 2010 - 10:26am -- mabaker

Hello,

Iv'e graduated from a culinary school and started to do some workshops.

My next one is breads. At home I'm using parchment papaer- to put the shaped and pre-shaped doughs

After that I transfer them to a sheet pan that has been already heated in the oven (otherwise the bottom will burn).

I had success moving the parchment with breads to the oven, and using the sheet pans.

I don't use cloth nor special baskets....but I want this workshop to look more professional.

What would you advise me to get?

hutchndi's picture

good price for bannetons

January 4, 2010 - 2:29am -- hutchndi

I just noticed the price of bannetons on the link provided on this site as 30.00. I boought mine about 4 or 5 years ago from TMB baking for about half that price (they seem to be quality tools to me, I now have 4, and use them often). I just checked their website and they still are only about 17.00 each.

here is the link:

http://www.tmbbaking.com/supplies.html#baskets

Russ from RI

kolobezka's picture

La cloche - Romertopf / Terra cotta pot instructions?

January 3, 2010 - 10:23pm -- kolobezka

Hi,

I am just thinking of buying a "la cloche" or a similar clay bakeware to bake our bread. I have read many of the comments here on TFL and elsewhere, but now I am a little confused about how to use clay bakeware...

- some people  recommend to preheat the la Cloche in 500°F oven (for how long?) and some prefer to put it directly with the dough inside in the cold oven. Does it make a difference? Is there a method that is better for different kinds of bread - for example lower/ higher hydratation, no knead, sourdough, yeasted, sweet...?

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Baking Equipment