The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

Misc.

Anything else that you want to post here that doesn't seem to have a home

SallyBR's picture

Completely silly question....

November 16, 2009 - 11:00am -- SallyBR
Forums: 

I apologize in advance for asking, but I am at a loss here...

a couple of weeks ago my computer started showing the messages in this forum in some kind of extended format, so that I can never get a single line IN the screen, I have to keep moving the scroll bar at the bottom to read it all.  Very tiring.

Does anybody know if "I" made something wrong in some setting?

(quite possible)

Thanks

clazar123's picture

I'm a little confused about flour measuring in ounces

November 7, 2009 - 8:51am -- clazar123
Forums: 

I have seen several recipes in the forum where liquids and solids are both measured in ounces.Is the flour in weight by ounce or volume by ounce in these recipes?Or does it vary? It would be helpful if people would make that distinction when a recipe is provided-"All solids measured by weight" or use grams instead of ounces.

Marni's picture

TFL in First Magazine

October 29, 2009 - 5:35pm -- Marni
Forums: 

My mother came by today and brought me her October 5th copy of First Magazine.  She was pleased to share with me that it had an article about the healing powers of bread.  Baking as stress relief.

The important point is that a sidebar directing readers to online baking sites lists The Fresh Loaf first.  It's like seeing a friend mentioned - very fun.

Marni

ericjs's picture

Meaning of "creamy" wrt crumb

October 24, 2009 - 12:45pm -- ericjs
Forums: 

I've often read the term"creamy"used, talking about the quality of a good crumb in certain breads. This word has never really made a lot of sense to me, but I assume it's a metaphorical descriptive, like when people talk about wine having "structure". I'm wondering if some one can take a shot defining the qualities of "creamy" crumb in more literal, physically descriptive terms.

plevee's picture

knives

October 22, 2009 - 7:25pm -- plevee
Forums: 

Has anyone tried the Pure Komachi 2 knives?

I love their original tomato knife and the bread knife is stellar, or would be if it were an inch or so longer.

The series 2 knives look even tackier than the originals & are about half the price. I was wondering whether the quality has changed.

Patsy

darkmoondreamer's picture

Slashing is deflating loaves.....

October 16, 2009 - 9:44pm -- darkmoondreamer
Forums: 

I swear that soon I will just give up scoring forever...sigh.....last week my slashing didn't work well because the tops of the loaves were getting dry during the second rise. Today I used plastic shower caps over my rising bowls and it worked just perfectly, loaves high as the sky, nice and moist dough on top. Until I slashed them and they all deflated. I used a super sharp, brand new Calphalon serrated knife on one loaf, and a new lame on the other. I slashed quick and sure and the loaves went down like balloons. What else can I try other than just giving up? Thanks :)

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Misc.