The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

Misc.

Anything else that you want to post here that doesn't seem to have a home

Pablo's picture

French is the language of bread

November 30, 2009 - 9:41pm -- Pablo
Forums: 

My new neighbour, a high school French teacher, upon receiving a welcoming loaf of bread from me told me that "pain" is french for "bread" and "copain" is French for "friend".   I don't remember exactly what she said the "co" part was, but it linked bread with friendship very basically.  Inspired to look up "companion" in an English dictionary I find:

companion:  ORIGIN Middle English: from Old French compaignon,
literally ‘one who breaks bread with another,’  based on Latin
com- ‘together with’ + panis ‘bread.’

Pretty cool, eh?

:-Paul

SallyBR's picture

Bake Along with Dan Lepard

November 30, 2009 - 9:15am -- SallyBR
Forums: 

Yesterday I participated of a great event organized by Dan Lepard - called Bake Along.  A bunch of folks from all over the world baked together a Dundee Cake, following Dan's instructions, posted step by step online

it was absolutely great!  If you want to see the results, here is the link at The Guardian

http://tinyurl.com/yk3k8hn

darkmoondreamer's picture

Help! Thanksgiving Rolls question

November 24, 2009 - 7:22pm -- darkmoondreamer
Forums: 

I am making homemade rolls for the first time this year. I plan on making the rolls tomorrow, putting them on the pans after shaping them and refrigerating them overnight, then taking them out of the fridge Thanksgiving morning and letting them rise. I know this is a beginner question but is this the proper procedure? I don't let them rise a second time before refridgeration do I? thanks so much

vince hav's picture

what kind of bread might this be

November 21, 2009 - 5:32am -- vince hav
Forums: 

i was telling my niece about this website and she started telling me about a bread being cooked on tv and was waondering what sort of bread it might be. she said it look premitive cause the would take this bread dough (that looked similar to pita bread) and they would put it down in this stone pot sorta thing and slap it to the side of the pot and then after awhile they would slap it to the other side and it would stick to the sides. she cant remember if the pot was in the ground or what.

tabasco's picture

Thanksgiving: Pls. give me some new ideas?

November 19, 2009 - 6:03am -- tabasco
Forums: 

Thanksgiving is nearly upon us, and I am wondering what TFL-ers plan to bake for the holiday weekend?

Any special recommendations for old favorites or fresh new ideas? 

I'm thinking of baking some old-fashioned soft white (southern style) dinner rolls, but have yet to choose a recipe (any thoughts?).

Then what else?  Of course, a good sandwich bread for the day after? 

And...there must be a few knock-out recipes you're going to try?

Let us know what you're planning! 

Thanks!  (gobble-gobble!)

vince hav's picture

so whats a good bread to start with for a rookie

November 18, 2009 - 8:05pm -- vince hav
Forums: 

i love to cook and can follow a reciepe pretty well. i normally cook main courses like meats and stews and such but i remember a neighbor cooking some zuccinie (spelled right??) bread years ago that was soo good. id like to try baken breads and stuff but dont really know sher to start.

the rookie

Postal Grunt's picture

Wrapping Up Loaves or Bagging Bread

November 18, 2009 - 9:54am -- Postal Grunt
Forums: 

I've got two loaves that are just out of the oven, that stretch the length of a two loaf, Italian bread, perforated bottom Chicago Metallic pan. The loaves look fine but there's a problem. These loaves are already spoken for the hospital auxiliary bake sale tomorrow. My wife, who volunteers at the hospital, suggested that I donate something for this sale.

I have acouple of sandwich loaf bags that a supermarket bakery gave to me but they probably won't be quite long enough, Any suggestions?

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Misc.