The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

Misc.

Anything else that you want to post here that doesn't seem to have a home

althetrainer's picture

Dough whisk. What size should I get?

December 17, 2009 - 8:25pm -- althetrainer
Forums: 

I always wanted one of those.  Have searched high and low in Calgary, Alberta but couldn't find one locally.  Seems like Brotform will ship international.  I am going to order one but not sure what size to get.  I am short and have very small  hand (I wear child's large size gloves).  I consider getting a small one but am afraid it won't be enough to make a dough for two loaves.  Any suggestions?  Al

longwinters's picture

I can't get it right...............

December 17, 2009 - 7:47pm -- longwinters
Forums: 

Hi, I am totally new to the forum but find it quite exciting.  I have a real desire to bake good bread, but have been a hopeless failure.  I seem to be able to follow directions, the 1st rise goes well, but after that it all falls apart.  Cannot seem to get a decent 2nd raise and my bread usually comes out too heavy and flat.  It will never raise above the level of the bread pan. 

New yeast, warm water  etc...the only thing I don't have is a 70 degree house.  We keep it around 65 in the winters. 

Can anyone show mercy to the Flat Bread King?

Long

vince hav's picture

refurbished mixers???

December 17, 2009 - 7:45pm -- vince hav
Forums: 

at The Kitchen Collection store they have kitchen aid mixers new and refurbished. the refurbished mixer i looked at (i forget the model but i think it had a 5 quart bowl???) anyway it was the one were the bowl lifts up an down with a handle an was around $100 or more cheaper than the same one that was new. im familiar enough with kitchen aid to know that the price was great for that mixer but not so familiar with whether getting a refurbished one is worth the savings or is it? any advice?

Doc Tracy's picture

Baking out of an RV

December 16, 2009 - 11:13pm -- Doc Tracy
Forums: 

Anybody have experience with this? I am temporarily in an RV, waiting on my home to be repaired from a fire. Want to continue my bread making lessons and am trying to figure out how to go about getting set up for it.

1. Work space-Where the heck do I shape/work with this dough without making a royal mess? I'm thinking about pulling up a large folding table but my outdoor table is a rough/plastic surface. What could I use ontop? The giant cutting board got packed and don't want to spend lots of money on a duplicate.

gardenchef's picture

Kneading Time and Speed with stand mixer?

December 11, 2009 - 1:24pm -- gardenchef
Forums: 

Hi This is my first foray into a stand mixer. received my VIKING  today and have my first loaves of COUNTRY WHITE BREAD  in the oven now. Smells heavenly in here!!!

I have to say though after yearsr of kneading by hand I was flabbergasted by the lack of time needed for kneading!?!?!? I had the same consistancy as 10 minute hand kneaded bread in less than 2 mins on low speed. If this ok...doesn't it need time while kneading to begin it's rising process or something?

What speed? and how many minutes? do you recommend for kneading yeast doughs : )

jacobsbrook's picture

My first try at Leonards's Country French and Pain de Mie

December 11, 2009 - 12:27pm -- jacobsbrook
Forums: 

So I decided to try some new loaves this Winter.  We enjoy our weekly pain au levain, but I wanted to try something new.  So I tried these two.  It was fun.  Can't wait to see how they taste.  I am not a fan of commercial yeast breads, but other members of the family are, thus the pain de mie.  Happy baking!

thebreadfairy's picture

No more floured towels for me

December 11, 2009 - 10:10am -- thebreadfairy
Forums: 

I have stumbled across an alternative for covering rising dough which seems to be almost like a "teflon" towel. I purchased a 100% microfiber cloth napkin at "Bed, Bath, and Beyond" and it is incredible so far. Dough, even wet doughs (have not tried ciabatta yet) don't stick at all. I covered a sourdough raisin bread overnight in a brotform lined with this and only a minimal amount of bread flour. In the morning, the loaf turned out much more easily than even with my linen-lined bannetons.

Carl Bergensis's picture

Question for Braun owners

December 8, 2009 - 8:18am -- Carl Bergensis
Forums: 

I've been kneading with a Braun multipurpose food processor using the dough hook for several years, although I still consider myself a baking newbie. Lately I've come across a number of recipes (from Rose Levy Beranbaum and Daniel Leader) specifying speeds for a Kitchen Aid and am never sure whether I'm going too fast or too slow, underkneading, overkneading. I know there have also been some issues with their books. Any advice?

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Misc.