The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

Misc.

Anything else that you want to post here that doesn't seem to have a home

Pablo's picture

How to STOP baking?

July 28, 2009 - 5:43pm -- Pablo
Forums: 

Stop me before I bake again!  The freezer(s) are full.  I've got to stop baking and do some eating for awhile.  It's been 3 days and I'm getting itchy.  I use wild yeasts only so I dried and froze my starters.  That helps, but I know I could thaw them out pretty quickly.  I've even been thinking about a poolish...  Reading bread books inflames me.  Reading all the cool stuff people are doing on The Fresh Loaf inflames me.  Eek!  Must be strong.  Think of all the things I can bake once I've got some freezer room again...

:-Paul

MotoJack's picture

No Knead bread.Why a wooden spoon?

July 26, 2009 - 7:24pm -- MotoJack
Forums: 

I'm a new bread maker.Only a few days at this and I've not tried anything except the real easy (but very tasty) no knead type bread.I see that most of the people telling how to mix the no knead tell me to mix using a wooden spoon.I do not own a wooden spoon.I used a big metal spoon untill my dough whisk was delivered and now use that.It is metal with a wooden handle.What's up with the wooden spoon anyway?If I get one and use it,will the bread come out different? 

summerbaker's picture

Food Grade Lye - Cheap(er)

July 22, 2009 - 6:45pm -- summerbaker
Forums: 

I keep reading posts about how food grade lye is expensive and have been kicking myself for not remembering where I ordered mine from.  Finally my source, Essencial Depot, sent me a promotional email so now I'd like to pass their address on to adventurous bagel bakers everywhere:

www.essentialdepot.com

2 lbs. is $4.49 plus $8.11 shipping for a total of: $12.60

flourgirl51's picture

Need Professional advice for a new oven

July 19, 2009 - 10:10am -- flourgirl51
Forums: 

Well, it seems that I am at a crossroads in my baking venture. I need a second oven and would prefer gas but we have to have LP out here. With the volume of baking I am doing now for our market I am thinking that a regular home oven isn't going to last long as I am running the oven for two days for about 15 hours a day. A second oven would cut my baking time down considerably and make my life easier!

avatrx1's picture

Cloth Bread storage bag?

July 18, 2009 - 1:37am -- avatrx1
Forums: 

I'd like to be able to store my bread for a few days without putting it in plastic and not just leaving out on the counter face down.  Could someone suggest the type of baker's bag I've seen referred to in some discussions on bread storage?

I thought - perhaps - I'd make one.  Put a little monogram or embroidery on it letting the troops (family) know that it's specifically for my bread.

I'm just not sure what type of cloth.  lightweight Muslin perhaps?  If it worked out - then maybe I could personalize them and sell them  to subsidize my bread habit.................

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Misc.