The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

Misc.

Anything else that you want to post here that doesn't seem to have a home

rmk129's picture

Flour types?

May 27, 2006 - 10:00am -- rmk129
Forums: 

Hello all! I am hoping someone can enlighten me on this point...

I recently moved to Argentina, so I am trying to familiarize myself with the different baking ingredients available here. The flour here all seems to be classified with varying numbers of 0's. I must admit I didn't pay much attention to flour types when I was in Canada, so maybe it is the same there and I just didn't notice?

In any case, if someone could tell me what the difference is between, for example,
"Harina de Trigo 000" and "Harina de Trigo 0000", I would be very interested to know!

RichC's picture

Refridgeration before baking

May 11, 2006 - 8:59am -- RichC
Forums: 

I'm considering making the cinnamon raisin walnut bread from Bread Bakers Apprentice this weekend, but I'd like to make the dough Saturday night and then bake it first thing in the morning Sunday. Is there a certain amount of time you should wait after taking it out of the fridge before baking, or should the baking temp and time be adjusted for the dough being colder?

Thanks,
Rich

precipice's picture

San Francisco Baking Institutue - experiences?

May 8, 2006 - 4:14pm -- precipice
Forums: 

Has anyone taken one of the 5-day workshops at the San Francisco Baking Institute? I was thinking of taking their "Artisan I" class and wasn't sure whether it was worth it. Any advice appreciated (including Bay Area alternatives that may be better).

http://www.sfbi.com/workshop_artisan1.html

Thanks!

-p

Teresa_in_nc's picture

Measuring by weight question...

March 25, 2006 - 8:55am -- Teresa_in_nc
Forums: 

Recently I got a digital scales to measure by weight my breads and pizzas, mostly. I was told this was a more accurate way to measure, flour, starter, water, etc. than by using cup measurements.

I'm getting the hang of it slowly, but was unsure how to proceed today when the recipe I was making called for one cup of sourdough starter. Do you use the fluid oz measurement or the dry oz/lb measurement? I used the fluid oz today, but it seemed like the amount was a bit more than one cup measured with a measuring cup.

Today, I just said "what the heck, I'll just put the rest of this bowl of starter in and go from there." (I hate to waste perfectly good starter.) I didn't need all the flour called for in the recipe. I poured the warm water in by fluid oz. weight (5 oz.) but wasn't sure how to weigh the starter, by fluid oz. or by dry oz/lb.

Floydm's picture

Beware...

October 6, 2005 - 8:06pm -- Floydm
Forums: 

!!! BREAD IS DANGEROUS !!!

!!! BREAD IS DANGEROUS !!!

Research on bread indicates that:
1. More than 98 percent of convicted felons are bread users.
2. Fully HALF of all children who grow up in bread-consuming households score below average on standardized tests.
3. In the 18th century, when virtually all bread was baked in the home, the average life expectancy was less than 50 years; infant mortality rates were unacceptably high; many women died in childbirth; and diseases such as typhoid, yellow fever, and influenza ravaged whole nations.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Misc.