The Fresh Loaf

News & Information for Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts

Blogs

Father Raphael's picture
Father Raphael

Good day

KAF are not bromated, enriched or bleached from what I understand.  Is the same true of Wheat Montana flours?

Thank you

Father Raphael

The Roadside Pie King's picture
The Roadside Pi...

I could not let stand the poor results of this morning bake. Let's hope the Goddess Fortuna Redux, takes mercy and leads this bake safely home! 

P.S.This is what a 25% increase looks like. I'll be back once the buns are safely on the cooling rack. Smile...

These bad mama-Jama's Are ready to go! Pre-heat, steam, and bake-off! 

Perseverance, determination, commitment, and courage-those things are real. The desire for redemption drives you.

Michael Phelps

There was a malfunction with the two longers ones. They did not fall centered in the baguette pan. Moving them proved to be a mistake. Alas, let's leave that for another discussion, now is the time to revel in victory! 

The Roadside Pie King's picture
The Roadside Pi...

The dough has been mixed using my Traditional baguette, bosch specific method. We are now in bulk ferment. I find it very helpful to have my tiny work station ready and organized. 

 since we know that 1,680 grams of dough equal approximately 1.68 liters, we can calculate a 25% increase to be approximately 2.1 liters. The progress will be checked in 60 min. from the start of bulk. 

After 105 minutes at 76 degrees F., the baguette dough is showing good fermentation. Not only is the volume increase very close to 25% the top view shows a slight but pronounced dome, the corners are pulling away from the sides, and air bubbles are visible. 

The dough was divided, and pre-shaped 3 at 560 grams. The final shape will be long batards. 

After 7 Hrs. of cold retard/proof, here we have the three long batards and one Asciugamano. While searching the fresh loaf archives I happened on the DMsynider formula for Asciugamano, I decided to give this obscure Italian bread a go! Actually, the Asciugamano is a blank to help hold the batards during the proof.

From the looks of things, we seem to be slightly over-proofed, not grossly, however. 

Wow! What a letdown, I could kick myself! I neglected to turn down the oven temperature, after purging the oven for the second 13 minutes of bake time. I only checked on them once, 10 minutes in. This is the sad result. Over proofing notwithstanding, this would have been a pretty okay bake! 

 

Closing thoughts.

1. The shaping turned out rather well, especially for the seeded bats. 

2. These are the size I have been trying to emulate! The Italian batards from the Prenice brothers bakery, made famous by Sonny's Hero shop. 

3. Had I ended the bulk only 15:00 minutes earlier I am fairly certain these bats would have burst open. 

4. I am glad I proofed these seem side up. The dough had begone to dry out. I will have to dampen the flour sackcloth cover, next time.

5. True that! Plenty of time for counting, when the deal is done! 

headupinclouds's picture
headupinclouds

This is a beginner's attempt at Denise Polzelbauer's family Volkornbrot, from Daniel Leader's Living Bread.  I ran my Mockmill 200 at a coarse setting and a used a coarse kitchen sieve to catch the required rye chops.  I used subsequent milling and flour sieves to create the coarse rye flour and (presumably finer) whole rye flour the recipe calls for.  All of this was done by sifting guesswork.  This was a slightly cumbersome process.  Milling rye at a coarse setting on the Mockmill creates cracked rye in addition to a large percentage of finer rye flour.  My understanding is coarse rye flour is beneficial in lieue of gluten for loaf shape and oven spring with 100% rye bakes.  Perhaps there is a single coarse setting that can produce a usable blend of rye chops and coarse flour.  The bake uses a two stage 32 hour rye sour build: an 8 hour Grundsauerteig and a 24 hour Schaumsauerteig.  The recipe called for 2 9x5 baking tins.  Somehow I don't have any, so I used a large pullman pan I recently purchased to make sandwich loafs.  This seemed to work out fine.  It calls for a desired internal temperature of 190 F, achieved after 1 1/2 hours at 375 F.  I checked it at 1 1/2 hours and measured 208 F.  Despite this discrepancy, it seems the loaf could still be baked longer.  Perhaps baking as a single mega loaf alters the equation slightly and is more tolerant of a hotter and longer bake.