40% W.W. English muffins
Hello friends, the aim for today’s experiment, will be to modify an existing recipe, (http://www.cooksrecipes.com/bread/english-muffins-recipe.html,) to create a formula for 40% W.W. English muffins.
The Will Falzon method, 40% W.W. English muffins
Milk (I used unsweetened Almond) 370G 61.6%
Water 120G (Divided) 20. %
W.W. Flour 240G 40. %
A. P. Flour 360G 60. %
Yeast 21G 3.5%
Melted Butter 32G 5.4%
Sugar 4G 0.6%
1 Lg. Egg (60G) 10%
Salt 4G 0.6%
Vinegar 4G 0.6%
Corn meal (As needed)
1. The Autolyse
Combine milk, 70G water and all the flour, till the flour is completely wet. Set aside to rest covered for 1 Hour.
2. Combine yeast, sugar and the remaining 50G of water at 100Deg.F. Mix well, allow to rest for 5 minutes, till frothy. Incorporate the yeast mixture well into the autolysed dough. Cover and set aside.
3. In a small bowl combine the melted butter, 1 egg, salt and vinegar. Once cooled, incorporate the egg mixture into the dough. Mix well.
4. Allow the dough to rest for a few minutes. While still in the bowl work the dough with very wet hands for a few minutes, until a shaggy dough ball is formed. At this point the dough will be very wet and unmanageable.
5. Cover with well-oiled plastic wrap and a dish towel. Set aside to rise in a warm draft free place.
6. At 15 minute intervals, preform stretch and folds at the four corners. Continue for one to one and one half hours, until the dough achieves enough strength for a “window pane” to be pulled.
7. At this point, coat your work surface generously with corn meal. Begin to preheat the griddle to medium heat (350F).
8. Turn out the dough on to the work surface, coat the top with corn meal.
9. Using your preferred method, roll out the dough to a thickness of ½ inch.
10. Using a cookie cutter or jar lid cut out 16, 3inch muffins.
11. Place the muffins on the griddle and cook for 7 minutes on each side. Or until they are well browned and the sides are stiff.
Today’s exercise was mostly a success. However, I rolled out the dough much to thin, (1/8th”) so most of the muffins are way too small. Also I feel the muffins need a little more sweetness. Next week when I revisit and tweak the formula, I will eliminate the sugar and substitute 3 TBS of raw wild flower honey. Also I used almond milk because I realized I did not have enough cow’s milk.