The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

Ingredients

Discussions about different ingredients, where to procure them, etc.

dmsnyder's picture

Osmotolerant yeast question

June 25, 2010 - 9:55pm -- dmsnyder
Forums: 

I made a highly enriched dough today, and I thought about opening my new package of osmotolerant yeast (SAF Gold) but used regular instant yeast, as prescribed in the recipe. Even though the kitchen was quite warm, the dough rose very slowly. I know osmotolerant yeast is supposed to speed up fermentation in doughs with high sugar content and low water (hydration from eggs, milk, butter, etc.) 

My question is: Do you adjust the yeast quantity in a recipe that calls for instant yeast when you use osmotolerant yeast?

David

Felila's picture

AP vs. bread flour

June 23, 2010 - 2:03am -- Felila
Forums: 

I usually bake with a mixture of KA White Whole Wheat and General Mills Better for Bread. The local Safeway stopped carrying the BfB. I baked a few times using some General Mills AP rather than BfB. I was disappointed in the results. My loaves seemed dry, flat, and blah. I found another local supermarket that carries the BfB, so I was able to bake with that again. Big difference! Loaves rose higher, seemed moister and more flavorful.

It's a bother having to shop at two stores to get the flour I need, but that's better than flat, dry bread.

overnight baker's picture

What sort of malt?

June 19, 2010 - 5:14am -- overnight baker
Forums: 

I am trying to follow a bagel recipe and it asks for 1 tbs of "Diastic malt, either liquid or dry" and "Malt syrup, honey or sugar for boiling.

So I've scoured my local shops and I've managed to find a product called spraymalt in a brewing supplies store and malt extract from a health food shop (more detail below).

emily_mb's picture

Newbie Q on Hydration and Additions: Flax, oat, wheat germ, wheat bran, polenta

June 15, 2010 - 10:15am -- emily_mb
Forums: 

I am a newbie who loves to experiment.  From my reading and experimentation I have learned that successful breads roughly have a 3 to 1 ratio of flour to liquid.  And that dough can tolerate a certain amount of "additions" such as nuts, raisins, sundried tomatoes, etc.  Most recipes that call for additions have 1 to 2 Tbs. per cup of flour.  So, my question is. which of these things function as flour (have to be counted towards the hydration) and which ones are additions? 

pmccool's picture

Ghee, what if

May 31, 2010 - 3:26am -- pmccool
Forums: 

I've been following the discussions about croissants and butter content and moisture levels in butter.  And then I saw a container of ghee at the supermarket and said "Hmmm." 

Ghee is something that I have never used.  Since it is clarified butter, I suspect it's moisture content would be much lower than ordinary butter but have no clue what the analysis might be.  Nor do I know how the melting, followed by separation of the solids, would affect flavor or handling characteristics.

PeterPiper's picture

Organic flour supplier in San Diego?

May 27, 2010 - 11:30am -- PeterPiper
Forums: 

My local supplier, Lakeside Bakery Supply has just dropped all organic flours from their lineup.  Ack!  I go through 50-lb bags every month or so, and can't stomach buying 5lb bags of organic flour at the grocery, when I was getting organic bread flour for around 60 cents/pound.  I'm trying to find Sperry Organic Bread Flour and Sperry Organic Hygluten, or any other high gluten organic, and soon!  Anyone found a supplier, even in the LA area?  Thanks,

-Peter

http://psoutowood.wordpress.com

gizzy's picture

Organic Yeast

May 24, 2010 - 4:36pm -- gizzy
Forums: 

I'm new to baking bread and eveything I have made has turned out spectacular so far. However, I have one problem. While the taste is amazine, as is the smell, when I try making things like Italian bread that is nice fluffy on the inside and crusty golden crust, I end up with soft pretzel texture--extremely tender and delicious, but not what im looking for.

cw's picture

bread dough enhancer

May 23, 2010 - 1:48pm -- cw
Forums: 

Hi,

I have just made a white loaf using a bread dough enhancer (lecithin granules, vit c and ginger) and noticed that the bread was softer, rose higher and had a more tender crust.  However I also noticed that its taste became more bland.  In other words, with the incorporation of these ingredients, the bread seems to have lost some taste.

Does anyone have similar experience? I wonder whether I should add more sugar when I use dough enhancer.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

CW

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Ingredients