The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

Ingredients

Discussions about different ingredients, where to procure them, etc.

jackie9999's picture

Forgot the salt AGAIN!!!

August 29, 2010 - 8:32am -- jackie9999
Forums: 

It's not the first time I've forgotten the salt in my sourdough boule..but this time I had to toss it...

I wasn't sure what was wrong when it came out of the mixer, only that it was incredibly sticky.  I perservered and did some half hearted s&f's and let it sit overnight in fridge. It didn't look much better in the morning but I carried on.  After 15 minutes in the oven I lifted off the clay pot I use for steam and it looked even worse..I've never seen a cow patty but I have a feeling that's the shape I had.

jkandell's picture

Guisto's "Ultimate Performer" versus "Baker's Choice"?

August 28, 2010 - 3:46pm -- jkandell
Forums: 

The local health store has two white flours:  Organic Unbleached Ultimate Performer, and Baker's Choice.

It looks like the former is 14g protein (high protein red wheat) while the latter is 4g!

Does high protein translate to high gluten flour?

Which is the best substitute for what is normally referred to as "bread flour" (stretchy rather than cakey crumb).

The flour expert at the store said "it's called ultimate because anything you make will taste better."  Uh-huh.

Urchina's picture

Free shipping!

August 25, 2010 - 8:16am -- Urchina
Forums: 

OK, so apparently I triggered the spam filter when I tried to post the link, but KAF is having a free shipping offer now, and it appears to include their AP unbleached, white whole wheat, and whole wheat flours. Just FYI, as I know that many folks here use their flour (including me) and the shipping is a killer. 

If you go to the King Arthur Flour website, I think the free shipping offer is on the main page. 

ErikVegas's picture

Differences between Sir Galahad and Sir Lancelot ( other than the name)

August 24, 2010 - 2:55pm -- ErikVegas
Forums: 

I was wondering if any of you know off hand what the performance differences between KA  Sir Lancelot and Sir Galahad flours are.  I know the protien and ash percentages are different but how does that change the final product.  Do certain breads come out better when using one or another?  Thanks for the info in advance.

Erik

Anonymous baker's picture

ConAgra as King Arthur?

August 19, 2010 - 7:16am -- Anonymous baker (not verified)
Forums: 

I posted about buying 50 lbs. of KA Sir Lancelot flour here: http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/18983/they-sold-me-50-lbs-king-arthur-sir-lancelot-higluten-flour

Yesterday, I happened to glance at the bag of flour I bought and saw this on the bar code tag:

Sir Lancelot

CC 06252010 21:32 B2

Wheat Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid

csimmo64's picture

Storing Flours for Large Bakery

August 16, 2010 - 6:54pm -- csimmo64
Forums: 

First off, I consider myself a beginner bread baker. I have much to learn, and I am still in my first year of professional bread making at a small bakery. We make around 20-30 loaves of hearth breads a day. Soon we will be at around 80.

We are very limited in space, and as such we store all of our 50lb bags of flours in our walk-in coolers maintained at around 41 degrees Fahrenheit. Mainly we deal with Hi-Gluten Flour and also Unbleached, Unbromated Patent or Bread flour.

Anonymous baker's picture

Beating the System

August 15, 2010 - 9:39pm -- Anonymous baker (not verified)
Forums: 

Okay, so today I was rumaging about my pantry in a quest to find my rye flour, which I don't use very often (blah blah blah... get to the point) and I was shocked by the different types of wheat flours I have. Would it be possible to just purchase AP flour and mix it with Vital Wheat Gluten in order to create various gluten levels? 

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Ingredients