The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

Ingredients

Discussions about different ingredients, where to procure them, etc.

oskar270's picture

Honey

May 19, 2010 - 8:24pm -- oskar270
Forums: 

Anyone knows why honey crystalises in the bottle? After about a month, the honey crystalises in the bottle and I cant use it. Funny thing it does not happen all the times and I store it in the same place in the kitchen.

EvaGal's picture

Stone-Buhr Flour

May 18, 2010 - 1:49pm -- EvaGal
Forums: 

On the shelf at the local Grocery Store, I had 5 brands to choose from. Stone-Buhr Shepherd's Grain All Purpose Unbleached is the one I purchased because it was the middle price.  Has anyone else used this  brand flour?  It has been sold at stores in my area as long as I can remember (several decades:>)).

EvaGal

chetc's picture

Con Agra flours

May 12, 2010 - 2:46pm -- chetc
Forums: 

I went past a bakery supply house while traveling, So I stopped by, they carry some Con Agra flours, I needed some Duram, so along with the duram, I tried a bag of ConAgra Producer and Occident, anyone ever try eith of these for pizza dough or breads

Chet

Felila's picture

White bread flour

May 5, 2010 - 4:47pm -- Felila
Forums: 

For several years now I've been making a nice, light bread with a combination of KA white whole wheat and Gold Medal Better for Bread white bread flour. My local Safeway has stopped carrying the white bread flour and I can't find any in Honolulu.

Can I replicate the effect of the high-gluten bread flour by mixing unbleached all-purpose flour with a little high-gluten flour from my health food co-op? I think the brand is Bob's.

jennyloh's picture

Need Help - Diastatic Malt Powder - Replacement?

April 27, 2010 - 6:10am -- jennyloh
Forums: 

I'd like to attempt the Jeffrey Hamelman's bagels which Lindy did a great job a few weeks ago.  However, I can't seem to find diastatic malt powder in the supermarket here (in China) :(.

I'd really love to do the bagels,  can anyone suggest an alternative that I can use? or if I exclude it,  will it make a difference?

Jenny

Kroha's picture

Light (white) vs. dark (whole) rye flour -- what are the differences aside from nutrition?

April 23, 2010 - 5:17pm -- Kroha
Forums: 

I baked Dan Lepard's Whole Grain Rye today.  It includes whole-rye sourdough starter (80%), whole rye berries (160%), and light rye flour (100%).   Also, some salt and optional yeast, which I used because my starter was over-ripe.   I am not sure how it came out because it has to sit for 48 hours before I cut into it, but my question is -- how would the loaf change if I substituted whole rye flour for light rye flour? 

Thank you!

Yulika

wdlolies's picture

Flours of Ireland

April 23, 2010 - 11:47am -- wdlolies
Forums: 

This forum is for all of you who, like me, live in Ireland and face daily challenges with the choice of flours.  I hope to find other people in Ireland who share their experience and sources.

I would like to start by sharing my experience with Irish flours and will tell you what I can find in our supermarkets and health food stores.  I need to add that I live in a little village in County Wicklow, namely Blessington.  I don't live too far from Dublin and would be more than happy to head to the Capital to cover my needs.

The flours I've found so far:

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Ingredients