The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

Ingredients

Discussions about different ingredients, where to procure them, etc.

RiverWalker's picture

Salba/Chia?

March 16, 2010 - 12:29am -- RiverWalker
Forums: 

I hear great things about this myserious "Salba Seed", and go to look it up online.

one bunch of people say its the same thing, (perhaps grown slightly differently, seems unclear) as Chia. ... ... as in chia pets....

anyone have any testimony/opinion/thoughts on the difference, if any between the expensive-as-hell Salba, and the not-that-expensive Chia?

OldWoodenSpoon's picture

KAF Flour on sale

March 13, 2010 - 8:59pm -- OldWoodenSpoon
Forums: 

in Northern California, at Safeway Stores.  I found KAF AP, Bread, Whole Wheat and White Whole Wheat all on sale today (and until April 6th accoring to the shelf tag) for $3.99 / 5# bag.  That is not as low as I saw it there at Christmas, but it is quite a lot better than the $5.99 usual everyday price en my small town.

I also found KAF AP flour at Smart and Final today for $8.19 per 10# bag.  That is not quite a low as Safeway, but still better than the everyday price at Safeway.  It was not marked as a sale or promotional item, but I imagine it is, nonetheless.

saraugie's picture

French Flour conversions to American Flour

March 13, 2010 - 12:34am -- saraugie
Forums: 

Wanting to copy Shiao-Ping's latest gorgeous, yummy looking bread T110 Miche, I see that the flour she used is T110.  I searched the web and came up with this chart from another food website.  I cannot understand the science of flour IE: ash content, water absorption rates etc and just need know what the American equivalents are.  I wonder if you who know could tell if these comparisons are correct ?

AMERICAN: Cake & Pastry
APPROXIMATE FRENCH EQUIVALENT: Type 45

bakinbuff's picture

A question for you Brits on TFL....

March 8, 2010 - 3:52am -- bakinbuff
Forums: 

Just wondering if anyone knows whether flour in the UK is bleached?  I buy supermarket brand plain and strong white flours for baking (and grind my own wholewheat from berries), but can't find any information on the packets or on the store's website (Tesco) as to whether their white flour is bleached or not.  Anyone have any idea?  Thanks!

MickieX's picture

Bread baking

March 7, 2010 - 10:10pm -- MickieX
Forums: 

Hi:  Novice baker here -- want to learn~!!

What is the difference between malt powder and diastatic malt powder and when do you use each?

I'm soooo confused~!!

Your help is greately appreciated.

Thanx much~!

MickieX in MN

RiverWalker's picture

Fleischmann's "Instant Dry Yeast"

March 6, 2010 - 10:11pm -- RiverWalker
Forums: 

so my fiancee's dad does a little baking, and got a really good deal on some yeast at sam's,(like, two pounds for under 5 bucks) but way more than he can use(since he doesn't bake bread all that much) so he gave me some. great! I figure it'll be a clear bag of basic, run of the mill active dry yeast.  no problem.

instead I get a vacum packed 1lb brick of "Instant Dry Yeast".  now this is good, isn't it? I mean its the stuff that the books seem to prefer, not the weird single rise stuff or whatever, right?

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Ingredients