The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

General

Any type of bread that doesn't fall into the other buckets: herb breads, sandwich breads, fruit and nut breads, anything else you enjoy.

foodslut's picture

U.S. Army Rye Bread

August 11, 2010 - 1:33pm -- foodslut
Forums: 

Just HAD to share this recipe from a CD I bought full of old U.S. Army recipes.  Luckily enough, even though each recipe is for 100 servings, all the recipes (including the baking ones) are by weight as well as volume.

Here's their rye bread recipe (PDF), and here's the baker's formula (I converted the fresh yeast to instant yeast, which can be mixed in w/the dry ingredients):

69.4 AP flour

30.6 Rye flour

59.7 Water

2.6 Shortening

2.6 Salt

jlewis30's picture

Baking in the bowl...

August 11, 2010 - 1:14pm -- jlewis30
Forums: 

Sooooo...

I have been working on my sourdough. I always have trouble with my round loaf flattening out, my dough tends to be a little over hydrated and surface tension is an issue. But I like the lighter crumb I get with the hydrated dough (I am sure I have lots of areas for improvement, I will get there).

UnConundrum's picture

Need help translating German recipe

August 11, 2010 - 5:29am -- UnConundrum
Forums: 

I need some help translating an ingredient in a German recipe for Rosetta rolls.  The word that has me is "proteinweizen."  I'm guessing it means "wheat gluten," but I'm not sure.

The whole recipe in German is:

970 g Mehl, T.550 

15 g Proteinweizen 

15 g Weizensauer

10-30 g Hefe 

20 g Salz

50 g Oliven-Öl 

ca 580 g Wasser

gaaarp's picture

Semolina Sesame Braid

August 10, 2010 - 3:09pm -- gaaarp
Forums: 

I made Nick Malgieri's Semolina Sesame Braid from The Modern Baker this weekend. You can read about it here. I wasn't crazy about this bread. It was OK, but didn't impress me that much. I found the same thing to be true of the semolina recipes in BBA.

Which has me wondering: am I not trying the right recipes, or could it be I just don't like semolina bread?

bnom's picture

A huge thank you to Norm and Stan for the NY Bakery testing experience

August 9, 2010 - 10:23am -- bnom
Forums: 

We've reached the end of the test baking experience for Norm Berg and Stan Ginsberg's NY Bakery Cookbook.  I've found it a highly rewarding experience.  It's stretched me in many ways (skills and waistline).  I have never been very disciplined about following recipes so that in itself was worthwhile.  I certainly gained respect for how challenging it must be to write a cookbook--particularly a baking book with all its variables. 

gaaarp's picture

Nick Malgieri's Seven Grain & Seed Bread (Straun)

August 8, 2010 - 7:58am -- gaaarp
Forums: 

Ever since I read PR's Bread Upon the Waters and first baked his Multigrain Bread Extraordinaire from BBA, I've been in love with straun. With so many grains and seeds to choose from, the possible variations of multigrain bread are endless.

Of course, some combinations are more successful than others. So I was anxious to try Nick's variation on this wonderful bread in The Modern Baker; but I was a bit skeptical, too. After all, how would it compare to PR's amazing straun?

Mira's picture

My rye bread tastes very bland.

August 6, 2010 - 6:52am -- Mira
Forums: 

Hello,

I'm very new to bread baking.  I've started two sourdough starters, in the meantime, I'm practising with commercial yeast.  Yesterday I made a rye bread recipe from James Peterson's "Baking" book.  The wet dough was very difficult to work.  The final product looked nice, but it tasted very bland. I'm wondering if there was enough salt in the recipe, or if there is something else I should be adding?  The recipe called for:

2 1/2 cups organic rye flour

2 1/2 cups AP flour

2 cups plus 1 TB barely warm water

1 tsp active dry yeast

GENE FOSTER's picture

STORAGE OF FLOUR

August 5, 2010 - 5:21pm -- GENE FOSTER
Forums: 

What is the best way to store flour for several weeks, (months)

Today, I received 4 pakages of KA Sir Lancelot flour. I plan on using these for pizzas.

Right now, I go through 5 - 10 lbs. of AP or organic flour per week, so I don't worry about sorage conditions.

But what is the best way to store flour for several months, (the Sir Lancelot, WW, Semolina) the flours we don't use on a daily or weekly  basics.

I have a vacuum seal food saver, so I could vacuum seal them and/or freeze them.

What have others found is the best storage method.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - General