The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

General

Any type of bread that doesn't fall into the other buckets: herb breads, sandwich breads, fruit and nut breads, anything else you enjoy.

pith's picture

Oil Biscuits don't rise

July 13, 2010 - 10:56am -- pith
Forums: 

I've tried making oil biscuits recently and they don't rise much at all if about ~80% probably. The recipe that I use is:

Flour 100.00%

Baking powder 5.60%

Salt 1.60%

Oil 29.60%

Buttermilk 59.30%

I'll mix the ingredients together just to the point of making sure the contents are well mixed and then I just lay the dough out and cut it up. I bake them at 400 in the oven and until golden brown.

They'll start out just about half an inch thick with dough and end up under an inch thick to max. 

Rick D's picture

fruit and nut bread technique advice

July 11, 2010 - 3:13pm -- Rick D
Forums: 

I'm interested to hear from other more experienced bakers on a couple of things I observed while making a fig and almond bread today. Basically it was a white flour bread, with dry yeast as the leavening agent. The almonds were slivered, then coursly chopped (many sharp edges), and the mission figs were dried, chopped. Both were added to the dough after the initial and kneeding. I then kneeded for another minute or so to distribute the nuts and fruit. My observations were:

1. The sharp almonds tended to cut through much of the gluten structure.

Urchina's picture

Lenora's Yeast Rolls, parker-house style

July 8, 2010 - 11:06pm -- Urchina
Forums: 

My first all-bread cookbook was Bernard Clayton's, and I've got several favorites in there. But right now my kids' favorite is Lenora's yeast rolls, so I made some tonight to go with dinner. 

They go together quickly, have a wonderful texture, and make great mini sandwiches (my son splits them like a taco, fills the inside and chows down). 

Carl Bergensis's picture

Flat bagel problem

July 8, 2010 - 8:12am -- Carl Bergensis
Forums: 

I've been using Peter Reinhart's recipe witth pleasantly tasty, chewy results, but they tend to flatten during the boiling. Ruth Levy Beranbaum's behaved similarly but got a lot of oven spring. The latest batch looked really great pre-boiling so it was kind of disappointing. I could go back to RLB's recipe but I recall it was more complicated -- but  maybe that's the answer.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - General