The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

General

Any type of bread that doesn't fall into the other buckets: herb breads, sandwich breads, fruit and nut breads, anything else you enjoy.

thespeidels's picture

Preserving...

September 3, 2010 - 8:56am -- thespeidels
Forums: 

Does anybody have ideas of what I could put in my bread to help it last a little longer?  Or things I can do to it?  I'm not unpleased with the length of time that the bread is lasting...but I had somebody tell me the other day to use crystalized citric acid to help preserve my bread...any thoughts?

Robinson's picture

Certain smell from bread after baking... Help!

September 2, 2010 - 8:29pm -- Robinson
Forums: 

After I have baked my bread, the smell of the bread (the inside) smells off... like sour.

I have made this bread before and it did not have the same smell, and it seems to be my yeast or flour.

i have a can of instant dried yeast (the one that looks like grains), I've opened it and it has a plastic cap, and I've closed it (obviously xD) and left it in a storage container under my table. Maybe I'm supposed to refridgerate it?

RachelJ's picture

How long does a starter live? and some other stuff :)

August 29, 2010 - 7:15pm -- RachelJ
Forums: 

Hola! I was just wondering, how long does a starter live? Does it actually ever 'die'? and... I was reading about starter and how sour they are and all that, and I have a question for those of you who have a starter for a while and know some about it. Do I have to add equal amounts of flour and water for the starter to be fed or can I add more flour, to thicken it? I read that the less liquid in your starter, the less sour it will be. My family doesn't like the whole big 'sour' taste to it, so I was wondering if that could be remedied. 

wayne on FLUKE's picture

KA blog and hand kneading vs bread machine

August 27, 2010 - 5:36am -- wayne on FLUKE
Forums: 

I just read the following blog on the KA website.

http://blog.kingarthurflour.com/2010/08/25/curious-about-yeast-bread-old-traditions-meet-new-techniques/

Near the end there is a photo that shows two slices of bread, one kneaded in a bread machine, one by hand and points out the machine kneaded one is much lighter and airier. It doesn't say why!

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - General