The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

General

Any type of bread that doesn't fall into the other buckets: herb breads, sandwich breads, fruit and nut breads, anything else you enjoy.

Yuval35's picture

Brioche question

October 12, 2010 - 11:52pm -- Yuval35
Forums: 

Hello,

recentlly i am trying to improve my brioche skils.

I made 2 classic brioche receips but unfortuantlly the dough wasn't rise enough.

finally i found another receipe from KAF which was very good in a matter of texture but the flavors was poor( in my opinion).

anyway i was searching the web for other brioche receips and found several differences and methods.

1. some of them are not using any liquid instead of butter and eggs and some of them using around 1\4 to 1\2 water\milk\orange juice.

msgenie516's picture

The PERFECT bread recipe for the beginning baker! Think Wonder Bread!

October 12, 2010 - 7:47pm -- msgenie516
Forums: 

Hi,

First, I want to mention I'm not talented enough to be able to claim I created this recipe.  I found it on another forum and I really don't know who the original author is, but whoever it is, created a WINNER!  This bread has a soft crust and interior (somewhat like store bought white but much tastier with a nicer texture) so for those of you who only want to tackle a crusty bread, this one is not for you.   The crust also does not get very dark, but you could probably mist it with a bit of water if you want it darker.

OttovonBrot's picture

Trying to improve my bread

October 11, 2010 - 11:40am -- OttovonBrot
Forums: 

I have been making bread by hand on and off for 5 years or so. The last year or two has been more off than on and I am trying to change that. This last weekend I decided to dive back in and made an Italian wheat bread from Caroline Fields "The Italian Baker." I have the general techniques down and am really looking for advice on how to improve the crumb, crust and overall texture of my bread.

inabech's picture

No-knead bread in LeCreuset Pate Terrine Pan

October 11, 2010 - 5:57am -- inabech
Forums: 

I am being gifted with a cast iron LeCreuset Pate Terrine pan.  It is approximately 4" x 12" x 3" and holds about 1.5 quarts.  I am hoping to make no-knead breads in this lidded pan.  i am relatively new to bread baking and no-knead breads.  So far I have tried the Cook's Illustrated Almost No-Knead bread, the Artisan in Five no-knead and the Leahey NYT No-Knead Breads.  I have baked them in the LeCreuset Dutch Oven and the Emile Henry Dutch oven pans.  Since there are only 2 of us, the resulting breads are too big to consume before getting stale: hence the terrine pan idea.

appendix's picture

no knead bread containers

October 4, 2010 - 7:30pm -- appendix
Forums: 

I have made quite a bit of basic no knead bread & have been very happy with it.  Usually I bake it in a large (I think 5qt) dutch oven that I've had for years.  I would like to use this recipe to make soup bowls for my family, but the little mini dutch ovens are fairly pricey.  What other vessels can the no knead bread be cooked in, that would come in about a 1liter size that I could experiment with to make these things.  Thinking along the lines of cheap also.  I need to buy at least four of them, so I don't want to spend $50 each on them.

BellesAZ's picture

Pane Siciliano - BBA interpretation

October 4, 2010 - 10:09am -- BellesAZ
Forums: 

On Saturday, I began making Peter Reinhart's Pane Siciliano formula from the Bread Bakers Apprentice.  When I first started it, I thought it was a 2 day bread build.. lol.  Needless to say I had to pitch something else real quick for Sunday dinner - thanks Jason's Ciabatta!  Nope, this dough takes a full three days, but I have to say.. it was absolutely worth it.

mivigliotti's picture

Peter Reinharts artisan breads

October 4, 2010 - 8:44am -- mivigliotti
Forums: 

I just started baking and I bought Peter Reinharts artisan breads everyday. I am making the classic french bread and i had 2 issues: first one was he says to make the dough the day before and put in fridge overnight, which I did. today was the day i woke up took my dough out and had to cut into 10oz portions and shape to a batard. The problem I have is shaping them into batards I feel cold dough was not letting me seel the dough and as I was rolling them I felt it was coming apart at the seams. Should i Have let the dough rest at room temp first before shaping?

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - General