The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

Artisan Baking

The real deal.

ianlea's picture

Baguette inspired by Jane & Anis

February 27, 2009 - 3:08am -- ianlea

My First Post

First of all this is the best forum on the net for lovers of bread thank you to you all.

I was struggling with my bread making until I read the blog below and the subsequent discussions.

http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/8066/great-baguette-quest-n°3-anis-bouabsa

I will keep this short my recipe is now as follows and returns consistent results.

Like  Jane  I use a firm starter and a small amount of yeast

Felila's picture

Tastes just like bread from the store!

February 24, 2009 - 1:29pm -- Felila

I've been playing with the pain a l'ancienne recipe. The last batch was the best yet. I used King Arthur unbleached white flour and I did a number of French folds on the dough while it was chilling in the refrigerator. Result was six baguettes with lovely crunchy crust and a tender, flavorful center.

One of my co-workers wanted to try some of the bread, so I brought her a baguette. She had some of it with butter and I asked her if she liked it. "Yes," she said, "it tastes just like bread from the store!"

That bad? Oy :(

pancakes's picture

Poolish Question

February 23, 2009 - 6:35pm -- pancakes

I started making a "starter" as King Arthur Flour calls it, seems similar to a poolish.  It called for 1 1/4 c. bread flour, 1 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. instant yeast, 1/2 c. water.  Mix and allow to sit at room temp. for up to 14 hours. 

I actually made this 24 hours before I needed to and decided to leave it out for 2 hours then refigerate.  It hasn't become bubbly so I assume this won't work.  I am going to re-make this now that I am 14 hours from when I need it.

ericb's picture

wonky boules

February 21, 2009 - 2:31pm -- ericb

Boules seem like the easiest shape to master, but mine always turn out wonky. Sometimes, there's a blowout on the bottom, causing the loaf to be lopsided like a eternally tipped teakettle. Others, an eruption is frozen in time as a billowing mass exploded from a scoring mark. Still others are nearly perfectly round, masquerading as grapefruits trying to escape the bread knife.

flournwater's picture

5 Minutes vs Baker's Percentage

February 15, 2009 - 11:01am -- flournwater

I've been researching this 5 Minute Bread thing and got to wondering how the technique can be as successful as it is advertized to be when it's so dramatically distant from the standard "baker's percentage".

For example, one of the more widely touted recipes calls for 6 cups of flour, 1 Tbsp. yeast, 1 Tbsp. salt and 3 cups of water.

Using the baker's percentage rules, (100/70/2/2) 6 cups of flour would be combined with 2 Tbsp yeast, 2 Tbsp. salt, and 4 cups of water.

What am I missing?

What I was missing was:

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Artisan Baking