The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

Artisan Baking

The real deal.

koloatree's picture

beginners questions: in some recipes, why is a small amt of IDY added to dough even when a natural starter is used?

March 21, 2009 - 8:30pm -- koloatree

i tried a recipe today that i really liked and it called for a small amount of yeast in addition to the natural starter. i was just wondering if it is to simply quicken the fermentation process? i thought yeast would overpower the natural bacteria?

rolls's picture

re basic french bread (again) question

March 21, 2009 - 4:35am -- rolls

thanks, so do i have this right......?

thanks everyone i think im starting to get it, so if i take the recipe for pain ordinaire from village baker, for example, (also, this is the universal recipe for french bread):

• 6 cups flour (i'd use a mixture of both strong and plain flours, is this right?)
  • 2 1/2 cups water
  • 1 Tbsp salt
  • 2 pks active dry yeast (i'd use 1 Tbsp instant)

bobku's picture

Kneading

March 20, 2009 - 6:19am -- bobku

I have read that if your dough rips apart instead of streching ( window pane) you should add some liquid. I have also read that it needs more kneading how do I know which to do. When should I knead more and when is it just to dry?

Thanks

Leah Vetter's picture

Crumb

March 18, 2009 - 9:24pm -- Leah Vetter

I just started baking 3 months ago.  i started with no-knead bread and have moved on to usingng recipes from THE BREAD BAKER'S APPRENTICE.  I've been using a Kitchen Aid mixer to mix and knea  I've done French Bead, Pain L"Ancienne, Pugliesse and Pain de Compagne. Everything I bake tastes delicous but I have never achieved the kind of crumb I see in the photographs (those great big holes). i'd appreciate any advice from you experienced bakers.

rolls's picture

tiger bread?

March 17, 2009 - 7:55pm -- rolls

hi all not sure if thats the name for the bread, but im talking about those breads with the gorgeous pattern on top i don't think they're slashed can't remember. anyway if someone can fill me in plz? appreciate it? has anyone made this? any pics. techniques, recipes? thanks heaps! really curious about this bread!

koloatree's picture

hi, what type of flours is best for baguettes/sourdough baguttes/and sourdough raisin bread?

March 17, 2009 - 9:19am -- koloatree

hi,

for baguttes, it seems that lower protein is used more often as compared to higher protein flours. why is that? i experiment with making baguettes with all purpose and with high gluten flour. from my noob experience, the all purpose held its shape better and had a crispy crust compared to the bread flour. however, since i did not know how to shape baguettes properly, my test results may be made moot.

also, how about sourdough breads? which flour is best?

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Artisan Baking