The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

Artisan Baking

The real deal.

alconnell's picture

NY Hard Rolls

January 16, 2009 - 1:38pm -- alconnell

NY Hard Roll

Well, I'm pretty happy with my Hard Rolls these days, thanks to Lloyd, Norm and Peter Reinhardt.  Made these based on PR's BBA, but using Hi-Gluten flour.  Grabbed some Taylor Ham while visiting my sister in NY, and all I can say is Yum!  Almost as good as the River Edge, (NJ) Diner used to make when I was growing up.  Thanks everyone.

ericb's picture

another oven question

January 15, 2009 - 3:14pm -- ericb

I responded to a recent question about dealing with a small oven, and it got me thinking...

Is there any reason not to bake on two layers? I have two racks in my oven, and enough tiles to cover them both. Could I use both racks at once? My electric oven seems to heat from the bottom, so I don't think there's any risk in burning the tops of the upper layer.

Is this a bad idea, or is it fairly safe?

Thanks.

eric

trhoma6432's picture

Sourdough, okay now what?

January 12, 2009 - 9:58am -- trhoma6432

I'm in my 5th day on my seed culture, following the steps in Peter Reinhart's "The Bread Baker's Apprentice". What Now? The book doesn't say what to do between day 4 and day 14. I don't want to use it yet so can I just put it in the refrigerator as-is and leave it for 2 weeks or what? The book  says that it will keep for 3 weeks in the refrigerator or 6 months in the freezer but what do I do with it for those periods? Anything?

shakleford's picture

Questions on Hamelman Pumpernickel

January 12, 2009 - 7:47am -- shakleford

Hey all,

I got Hamelman's "Bread" for Christmas this year and took my first shot at his Horst Bandel Pumpernickel recipe this weekend.  I see from a search that there are a few others here who are familiar with the recipe, so I'm hoping that someone can help me with a few questions I have.

First, a few notes on how my process differed a bit from the instructions:

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Artisan Baking