The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

General

Any type of bread that doesn't fall into the other buckets: herb breads, sandwich breads, fruit and nut breads, anything else you enjoy.

varda's picture

Method and Cost to ship bread

February 19, 2012 - 1:09pm -- varda
Forums: 

Hi,  I wanted to ship a loaf of bread within the United States.   Since I would like it to get to its destination relatively fresh, I was planning to overnight it the day after baking and freezing.   USPS costs around $40 for a large enough overnight package, which is higher than I had hoped given it's just a loaf of bread.  Has anyone done this?   What is the most cost-effective way to get it there fresh?   Thanks.  -Varda

HeidiH's picture

Marble Rye Experiment #1

February 18, 2012 - 6:19pm -- HeidiH
Forums: 

Thought I'd try to make marble rye since I have both cream of rye flour and dark rye flour at present.  Not bad for a first experiment but I think I need to cook it longer and slower and work more on the rolling.  I thought I had it circling around itself into more of a spiral.

The basics of this loaf:

Dark rye: 50 g dark rye flour,  200 g strong bread flour, 5 g yeast, 5 g salt, and 50 g molasses, 150 g whey (left over from making ricotta)

Norman's picture

Salt

February 17, 2012 - 6:26pm -- Norman
Forums: 

I see in many videos and blogs and recipes, where I keep seeing people adding the salt to the dough almost at the end of the mix.  I just wondering what does it do? what difference does it make to add salt to the dough once all the others ingredients are all mixed?

I normally mix the salt, together with the yeast and sugar in the flour.  Anyway, if anybody knows, I do like to know why and if it is something that started to be practice lately.

Anyway, thank you in advance to all the comments.

Norman.

jak123's picture

Fried Challah

February 11, 2012 - 5:35pm -- jak123
Forums: 

I know , I know, I should be taking pictures...and i will soon and share with the board, but today, i made a giant batch of Challah (4000g of flour) and had some left over.....so, what did i do, i made doughnuts!  They were awesome....fried in 350 veg oil until golden brown...tossed in cinnamon/sugar....I will tell you, they were so good because the dough was not too sweet contrasted with the cinnamon sugar, which was sweet....usually, donuts, for me, are too sweet....not these, reminiscnet of a beignet, but no spice. (a pinch of cardomom may be a nice addition).

maka's picture

Flour on proofed bread

February 11, 2012 - 1:50pm -- maka
Forums: 

Hi all

I have been watching alot of video.s and reading alot. I have a small library of bread books as well. What I cannot seem to have explained is the amount of flour that i see on the outside of cooked bread. Is that all from putting it on so it doesn't stick to the molds. I am assuming it is. Is that acceptable to cover the bread with all that flour?

Thanks

oskar270's picture

Bread Forms

February 9, 2012 - 9:50pm -- oskar270
Forums: 

I bought these 18” long bread forms from a commercial equipment outlet. The first time I baked bread on them the bottom was almost no baked and I had to turn it up side down to complete the baking.

So I thought if I drill some holes on them, the air will circulate better and I will get a perfect baking. To the contrary, the second time the bottom of the bread was even less baked !!!

You can see the forms at this link, please note that I drill the holes and also added the end pieces because when the bread rises it was spilling over the ends.

Jonno34's picture

Flat loaves

February 9, 2012 - 7:17am -- Jonno34
Forums: 

Hi all,

Am new here and it looks a fabulous site.

I seem to have a problem with all my bread.  Seems the yeast is working well and I get no problem with doubling but a free-standing loaf will spread out rather than rise up and one in a tin will fall over the sides rather than become domed.

I have several standard mixes and I use a kenwood chef with a dough hook but am unsure how long I should be mixing for.  Can anyone help please.

Thanks

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - General