The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

General

Any type of bread that doesn't fall into the other buckets: herb breads, sandwich breads, fruit and nut breads, anything else you enjoy.

pigskins's picture

Samsung electric oven - convection setting

January 9, 2012 - 1:02pm -- pigskins
Forums: 

Hi all, brand new here and can't wait to explore. Been getting into breadmaking and really enjoy it. My question is about my oven. It's a Samsung electric oven, a couple years old. It has a convection setting that the manual says is best for baking. However, when I set the oven temp for convection, it automatically drops is by 25 degrees. The manual says it does this on purpose for convection baking. So my simple question is, do I trust the manual or should I increase my baking temp by 25 degrees so the oven temp matches the temp the recipe calls for?

Thank you!!

BKSinAZ's picture

My dough never passes window-pane tests; what is wrong

January 6, 2012 - 8:43am -- BKSinAZ
Forums: 

No matter what recipe, I can never get my dough to window-pane. Does this mean I am not kneading it long enough or is there another issue?

My flour is always King Arthur and my last recipe was http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/classic-baguettes-recipe

I always weigh ingrediants.

Abondia's picture

The Bread that Nearly Killed my Kitchenaid 610

January 2, 2012 - 12:37pm -- Abondia
Forums: 

I decided to bake the yeasted cornbread recipe featured in Collister and Blake's "Country Breads of the World". It is, afterall, the best cornbread the authors had ever eaten. My very generous husband bought me a Kitchenaid 610 professional mixer for Mother's Day last year, which is, without trying to sound arrogant, the mack daddy of kitchen mixers :). While I normally knead all my breads by hand, Ms. Collister insists that this "bread is best made in an electric mixer", so I broke out the Kitchenaid and dough hook.

rocky_creek@hughes.net's picture

round free standing loaf

January 1, 2012 - 9:07am -- rocky_creek@hug...
Forums: 

I'm so new I don't even know what to call it. Just got started and my breads baked in a loaf pan are doing great. At some point I want to try one of those big round free standing loafs. I would guess that the dough must be stiffer than what I am using in the loaf pan. Can you point me toward where to learn about these loaves? Thank you.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - General