The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

General

Any type of bread that doesn't fall into the other buckets: herb breads, sandwich breads, fruit and nut breads, anything else you enjoy.

Skibum's picture

JMonkey's Poolish Baguette

March 17, 2012 - 4:16pm -- Skibum
Forums: 

I have been baking steadily now for 2 months and thanks to this great site my results have improved a great deal.  Today was my best bake ever! The biggest difference was finally having a baking stone in the oven.  Today’s oven spring surpassed even results I have had baking in cast iron.  Really nice tasting loaf, with great crust, nice soft crumb and great flavour.  This is my first content post, so I hope the photos come out:

dvirkk's picture

Rising and Rising again, but why?

March 17, 2012 - 4:07am -- dvirkk
Forums: 

Hey,

I'm a baking layman, so forgive me if this is a silly question.

All of the bread recipes I've seen so far call for (1st)rising after kneading, then taking most of the air out, shaping and then (2nd)rising.

From my little experience, the yeast work for a while, and then they either run out of food, or just get plain tired and slow down. 

Davidkatz's picture

Mazta season is here!

March 14, 2012 - 11:44am -- Davidkatz
Forums: 

Matza baking has begun and here is my call out to TFLers knowledge.

Matza baking is how I got into bread beaking.

Our family has been baking for about 5 years - learning and lovin every part of it.

I'm happy to answer any questions - 

Here are the rules:

Dry and wet ingredients stay far apart until the moment the mixing begins.

First flour, then water.

Pure, unbleached, freshly ground grain (wheat, rye, spelt, barley, oats). Any extraction rate.

Cold water, pref. spring that has sat in a cool place overnight.

clazar123's picture

Dough deterioration when kefir used

March 11, 2012 - 4:59pm -- clazar123
Forums: 

I have noticed that when I use kefir as a liquid in my doughs, the dough tends to deteriorate quickly as if an enzyme reaction is occuring. By the time the dough has finished its bulk fermentation (2-3 hours for this batch), it is fragile feeling and as I  shape it, it tears easily. I am not stretching it aggressively. By the time it has proofed (this batch proofed in 1 hour)it has some 1-2 inch tears obvious on the surface.

Nersh's picture

Vital Wheat Gluten

March 4, 2012 - 3:00pm -- Nersh
Forums: 

Hi fellow TFLers!

I've been having trouble getting my wheat breads to rise adequately. Someone reccomended vital wheat gluten. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Does it work? Is it worth it? Should I try something else before draggin my fat butt to the store?

Cheers,

Nersh

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - General