The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

Artisan Baking

The real deal.

SourdoLady's picture

Baking on Stones

July 31, 2005 - 8:44pm -- SourdoLady

Those of you who use baking stones for your free-form loaves, how do you transfer your risen loaf to the hot stone? I don't have a peel. Can parchment paper be used, or is the stone too hot for it?

Up to now I have been just putting the loaf on the stone to rise and then placing the cold stone with the loaf into the hot oven. I'm getting decent results, but I'd like the bottom crust a bit browner and I think I'd get more oven spring if the stone was hot.

qahtan's picture

Rye bread with altus ???????????

April 15, 2005 - 11:52am -- qahtan

As some of you may know I don't keep strictly to the recipe, I do tend to adjust as I fancy. This is a recipe that I have just made and put a loaf of in the oven, if it looks and tastes OK I will post picture. :-))) I used
1 cup ale sourdough
1 cup water plus
1 tab sugar
1 tabs butter
1 teas salt
3 cups white flour
1 cup rye flour
1 cup organic rye altus.
The water I adjusted as I felt the need to give me a good feeling dough.

apers's picture

Question

March 26, 2005 - 2:39pm -- apers

Floyd, I am making stew for some freinds on sunday and would like to make "bread bowls" to eat it out of. I would love to make sourdough, but I dont have a stater going yet and I also havent made it before, so I dont wanna screw up our meal for experimentation sake.

So you have a good recipe for a frech type bread that I can make that would suit the purpose?

April

Morgon77's picture

Casatiello

March 6, 2005 - 11:58am -- Morgon77

Last night I tried out the Casatiello from "The Bread Baker's Apprentice". It's a kind of brioche with cheddar cheese and bits of sausage in it.

It recommends using hard cured salami, but instead I picked up a roll of summer sausage and sauted it. It worked beautifully.

The bread is creamy and rich, and extremely satisfying. It takes about 5 hours to make, but is well worth the time and effort.

We had company, and the bread disappeared entirely within two hours.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Artisan Baking