The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

Artisan Baking

The real deal.

JMonkey's picture

Question about steam -- blocking oven vents

March 30, 2006 - 7:40am -- JMonkey

I've read over on the BakingCircle forums from one member who's had great luck blocking the vents of her ELECTRIC oven while steaming the oven. Traps the steam, keeps the oven like a sauna, and gives her fantastic oven spring.

My GAS oven is well vented and so, when I try the skillet trick, I get a huge rush of steam, but it almost immediately vents right out, or so I suspect. I've thought about stuffing some oven mitts in the vents right before I steam, but I'm concerned about what that might do to the gas / air mix with an oven at 450-500 degrees.

Mainly, would blocking the vents for 5-10 minutes at that temperature produce carbon monoxide gas?

KP Crumbworth's picture

Pugliese!

March 24, 2006 - 2:00pm -- KP Crumbworth

Looks pretty good for sticking to the towel somewhat, then a slashing fiasco- all of which I've decided makes it look more rustic. :)

Image hosting by Photobucket

I have my fingers crossed for when i get to see the crumb.

KP

Morgon77's picture

Whole Wheat French Bread

March 20, 2006 - 8:27pm -- Morgon77

Can anybody advise me about how to make whole wheat french bread? Obviously it would be a portion wheat, not the whole content. I've been using the French Bread recipe from "The Bread Baker's Apprentice"...should I replace the bread flour in the second portion with wheat? And I'm leaning toward the white wheat from King Arthur, rather than Graham flour. Also, do I need to presoak it at all, if so?

Kitchen Witch's picture

Cinnamon Raisin Walnut bread Flop

March 14, 2006 - 10:05am -- Kitchen Witch

Yesterday I made Struan bread it turned out ok I used the recipe out of Peter Reinhart book brother Junipers Bread book. I also made the Cinnamon Raisin Walnut Bread this recipe calls for 8 cups of four and only a cut and a half of liquid with an extra half of cup for adjustment durring kneading, I added an extra cup but it is still pretty heavy, how much water approx. should this recipe have had? I'm thinking at least 4 cups? Let me know what you think. Thanks.

KP Crumbworth's picture

Old Dough

March 10, 2006 - 6:40pm -- KP Crumbworth

I baked 2 loaves today (#'s 4-5) which were my best effoerts to date. I held back 7 oz of dough to use as my preferment tomorrow. Any suggestions on how to proceed from here? I was thinking of just using a standard recipe minus the poolish, but am now thinking the dough may be too dry. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

KP

KP Crumbworth's picture

2nd loaf & first post

March 5, 2006 - 6:39pm -- KP Crumbworth

I baked my second loaf of bread this weekend ( I wish I could figure how to post pics) it was much better than my first which was a true brick.

I used a recipe with no preferment, and thought I could just let a slow rise make up the difference.It didn't really have the flavor I was looking for, and was the slightest bit still wet in the center. However the crust was great, and the crumb was way way better than my first attempt although not quite right.

I'm trying to find a recipe that will include all of Floyds 10 tips- any suggestions?

I also wonder if I used Floyds rustic bread recipe can I just use all white flour if I want?

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Artisan Baking