The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

Artisan Baking

The real deal.

Cooking202's picture

Mark's Ciabatta

May 13, 2009 - 7:51pm -- Cooking202

I made Mark's Ciabatta today and it was absolutely wonderful.  I would post pictures, but I haven't figured out how to upload them.  I couldn't wait for it to cool, had to have a piece buttered right out of the oven. it made 4 loaves and I think my nephew is polishing off most of them as I type.  It didn't look as pretty as many I have seen here, but it made me proud.  I loved the folding technique and this will definitely be added to my weekly baking efforts. 

Thanks again Mark.

Carol

plevee's picture

Hamelman x SteveB = ? Wonderbread

May 11, 2009 - 1:17pm -- plevee

I made my favourite bread again today, 5 grain with rye sourdough

Followed the recipe with the following alterations;

No yeast

Used SteveB's mixing instructions for double flour & water additions in KA, the soaker added with the 2nd flour addition, the last 4oz water kneaded in by hand

Bulk ferment was 5 hours @ 66F

Loaves were shaped, then retarded 8 hours in fridge & final proof 3 hours @ 66F

phxdog's picture

Reformed Recipe Slave

May 11, 2009 - 11:15am -- phxdog

This weekend I baked 4 French Bread boules (a recipe by Danielle Forestier from a PBS segment with Julia Child). Iv'e always had good success following this recipe, but these loaves were great. They did not collapse during the final proof. I scored them in one stroke rather than my normal hacking several times. The crust was golden, crisp and actually "sang" as I pulled them from the ovens (I had begun to think you guys were all high when you mentioned this could happen). The crumb was perfect, and they tasted great.

Cooking202's picture

Korean Rolls

May 9, 2009 - 8:24am -- Cooking202

I can't think of a better place for hard to find info.  Years ago there was a Korean Bakery that made the best rolls I think I have ever tasted.  They were football shaped with an indention on top that was filled with about a tablespoon of butter, scallions and salt that had been simmered until tender and simply placed in a puddle on top.  I have searched the net for years and haven't found anything that even sounds close.  Any help would be appreciated.  There might be a time when I don't have to ask so many questions, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Carol

bobku's picture

Pita bread

May 7, 2009 - 1:48pm -- bobku

I have made some pita bread recently using whole wheat and also using white flour. I have to make the dough so thin to make it puff up correctly When its done its hard to put anything inside without the pocket ripping open. When I make them a little thicker some parts don't puff up at all ??

Cooking202's picture

Mark's Sticky Buns

May 5, 2009 - 10:06am -- Cooking202

He was kind enough to share his recipewith me and I have to brag that I didn't mess them up and that in itself is a miracle, as I am a novice baker.  I can destroy an iron pot with a rubber spatula. These buns were outstanding and I will be making them often.  Now if I can talk him into sharing his Ciabatta formula, I'll be an even happier novice baker. 

Carol

Floydm's picture

Rosemary Olive Oil Bread

May 3, 2009 - 9:44pm -- Floydm

Daniel T. Dimuzio's new book Bread Baking: An Artisan's Perspective is a textbook on the craft of artisan bread baking.  As such, there is more emphasis on understanding your ingredients and technique rather than on recipes.  That said, the book does contain an appendix of reliable formulas, one of which caught my eye this afternoon. 

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Artisan Baking