The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

Artisan Baking

The real deal.

noyeast's picture

Scoring high hydration loaves

May 19, 2009 - 4:23pm -- noyeast

I'm using a craft knife and finding it good for scoring medium hydration loaves and of course low hydration ones are very easy also, but I still cannot score high hydration loaves such as french baguettes, etc, they simply ruin the shape of the loaf and I'm scared that will spoil any oven spring too.

Should I buy a razor blade and fashion myself a decent lame ? will that solve the problem or are my high hydration loaves just too wet ?

recipe is:

flour 500gms

water 375 gms

yeast 1/2 tesp surebake

salt 10 gms.

xaipete's picture

Liquid Levain petered out

May 19, 2009 - 1:57pm -- xaipete

My liquid levain was going great gun while I had it out on the counter and was feeding it twice a day. I wasn't planning on using it for a week so I put it in the fridge. I took it out yesterday and refreshed it; it rose only a little and had a bunch of liquid in it. I stirred the liquid in, but it is refusing to grow. Any idea what is going on and what I should do from here?

--Pamela

chykcha's picture

What kind of whole wheat flour to get for bread?

May 19, 2009 - 1:14pm -- chykcha

I have read somewhere here about people ordering whole wheat flour from people, who grow organic wheat and grind it to your specifications right before mailing it to you.  I am about to order a 10lb bag to try, but don't know how they should grind it.  I bake whole wheat bread, including sourdough.  I would appreciate any advice.  Thanks!

UpcountryBaker's picture

Dough folding

May 18, 2009 - 9:29pm -- UpcountryBaker

I want to ask a question about folding. I understand you fold the dough to strengthen the gluten and to minimize the amount of mixing. But what should I be looking for in the dough that would indicate how many times to fold it? I seems to me that even 1/2 fold will have a big impact on the end result but I just don't know why I would want to do 1/2, 1, or even multiple folds to the dough. I would sincerely appreciate if any of you can help clarify this for me.

DrPr's picture

Did I overbake this?

May 15, 2009 - 11:04am -- DrPr

I baked a rosemary olive oil bread. The dark crust looks awesome to me although I prefer it a bit lighter. However, considering that even the scoring areas are dark, I think I overbaked it.  What do you thin? The internal temperature just made it to 205F.  Smells awsesome and I think it'll taste fine, but I'm wondering.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2069/3533386475_31b8d89e40.jpg

pancakes's picture

Bread recipes using whole milk

May 15, 2009 - 7:16am -- pancakes

I have 2 1/2 cups of whole milk that will expire on the 18th.  I bought it for making the Classic French Fruit Tart in the Art and Soul of Baking... it turned out delicious, so far I am loving that book.

Anyone have any bread recipe suggestions that call for whole milk?  Or any baked good that requires it?

Thanks.

Cooking202's picture

Mark's Ciabatta

May 13, 2009 - 7:51pm -- Cooking202

I made Mark's Ciabatta today and it was absolutely wonderful.  I would post pictures, but I haven't figured out how to upload them.  I couldn't wait for it to cool, had to have a piece buttered right out of the oven. it made 4 loaves and I think my nephew is polishing off most of them as I type.  It didn't look as pretty as many I have seen here, but it made me proud.  I loved the folding technique and this will definitely be added to my weekly baking efforts. 

Thanks again Mark.

Carol

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Artisan Baking