The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

Misc.

Anything else that you want to post here that doesn't seem to have a home

Mini Oven's picture

sourdough for the sole

August 11, 2007 - 12:14am -- Mini Oven
Forums: 

That's right SOLE, yes ladies and gentlemen, beat the heat (if you have it) by making yourself a wonderful starter soak for your feet to cool your soles and send your soul into sourdough heaven.  Who knows?  Might even be a new cure for something, knowing the "power of the beasties."  Think about it, smile, and get back to me.  Am I the only one who bakes barefooted?    Kink 4 de feet   --Mini O

breadnerd's picture

oven dried/roasted tomatoes

July 29, 2007 - 8:36am -- breadnerd
Forums: 

Sorry if this is a little OT, but I'm running the bread oven today and was thinking of using trying to roast/dry some tomatoes at the end of the oven heat. I've never done this before--any good recipes that people have tried?

The oven seems to hold 200-250 degrees most of the night after baking, and some of the recipes call for 8 hours in the oven...do you think I could just leave them in there all night?

CountryBoy's picture

Harry Potter

July 21, 2007 - 2:23pm -- CountryBoy
Forums: 

I believe that one of the hardest things to do in bread baking is to wait long enough at the right times in the process.  It is so easy to rush the process and yet so crucial to be able to wait at the right times.

That being the case I would like to suggest Harry Potter as a good solution.  I have read all 6 volumns and have just started on the last one that I picked up today at Borders Books.  It was strange to be in a special long line for pick up of a reserved Harry Potter book and not have anyone else in the line under the age of 30 yrs. old. 

Cooky's picture

Alternative to the windowpane test

July 2, 2007 - 3:32pm -- Cooky
Forums: 

Just came across this suggestion for checking on whether your coarse wholegrain dough is properly kneaded, in cases when the traditional windowpane test won't work.

"Use your thumb and forefinger to pull up a piece of the dough about an inch above the dough surface. If the dough holds the pinch and stands in a little ridge without springing back, it is fully kneaded."

I don't believe I've heard this one before. Anybody else using this technique?

mse1152's picture

So you think you want to open a bakery...

June 30, 2007 - 1:47pm -- mse1152
Forums: 

An interesting video that shows how much work goes on in the back of the bakery. These guys are working hard and fast. About 3:30 into the video, there is a time lapse of various starters rising and collapsing over several hours.

I'm waiting for some bread to cool enough to cut, so I've been cruising YouTube. Hopeless, I know.

Sue

Bakersdozen's picture

What do you do?

June 26, 2007 - 5:19am -- Bakersdozen
Forums: 

Okay so I made a loaf of bread last night, it was done baking at 9:30.  When I started to get ready to go to bed at 10:00 the bread was still warm.  I did not want to put it into a plastic bag, so I left it on the pizza stone and put some plastic wrap on it. 

Now what do you do when your bread is still warm and you want to go to bed?  I know it is a silly question. 

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Misc.