The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

Misc.

Anything else that you want to post here that doesn't seem to have a home

ericb's picture

cheese, anyone?

April 10, 2009 - 7:57pm -- ericb
Forums: 

I know this is pretty far off topic, but I was wondering if anyone knows anything about making cheese? In a way, it seems similar to making sourdough bread: mix a bunch of raw ingredients together, put it in a warm place for a given amount of time, and let the bacteria work their magic.

Friends of ours buy a special kit that includes enzymes, but it's fairly expensive. I'm wondering if there is a way to produce these enzymes "naturally," like one cultivates a new starter.

Any thoughts on this?

Eric

Yerffej's picture

Food Additives

April 10, 2009 - 6:51pm -- Yerffej
Forums: 

In another thread potassium bromate was mentioned as an additive found in some flours and most definitely bad for the human body.  The fact that much of the world has banned potassium bromate is a good clue as to its inherent qualities. 

ques2008's picture

OK to store egg wash (1 whole egg mixed with 1 tsp of water) in fridge for 2 days

April 6, 2009 - 4:20pm -- ques2008
Forums: 

I googled my question but I'm not getting the answer I'm looking for.  Must be the way I phrased my question.  But here's my question:  i love the egg wash effect on breads but I find I'm wasting too many eggs.  I know I can freeze egg white but for how long?

Also, can I store the egg wash I used tonite in the fridge for use again tomorrow or the next day?  Is it safe to use egg wash twice, bacteria-wise?

And how long can egg whites be stored in the freezer?  I know we can't freeze egg yolk.

Anyone with advice?

Many thanks.

Cooking202's picture

VitaMix

March 31, 2009 - 7:44am -- Cooking202
Forums: 

I have been given a VitaMix and wondered if any of you guys have one and if you have ever used it for grinding flour.  There are instructions, but I'm a bit sceptical.  Any comments, pro or con would be appreciated.

Carol 

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Misc.