The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

General

Any type of bread that doesn't fall into the other buckets: herb breads, sandwich breads, fruit and nut breads, anything else you enjoy.

Mira's picture

POGACA recipe for January 7 Christmas

December 5, 2011 - 7:27am -- Mira
Forums: 

Hello,

For Serbian Christmas, on January 7, we break "pogaca" bread that has a coin hidden in it. The person who gets the coin has good luck for the while year.

I tried making it this past January but the result was a heavy rock!  It was quite laughable and I didn't save the recipe (that I found online).  I make my own sourdough and so I thought I could do this:)  Anyways I'd love to try it again this year and so I'm wondering if anyone out there is familiar with this bread and could share with me?

Thanks!

Mira

oskar270's picture

French baguette bread forms

December 4, 2011 - 11:25am -- oskar270
Forums: 

I would like to purchase some French baguette bread forms to give my bread a better shape. The local stores they have two types and I don’t know which one will be better.

Both types have the same shape of a long and slim baguette but one type is made out of a solid sheet and on the other type the sheet is perforated at the bottom with small holes

Which one is better for bread baking and what is the difference between the two?

Thanks

tn gabe's picture

MVDs - Most Versatile Doughs and random market baking thoughts

December 1, 2011 - 8:35am -- tn gabe
Forums: 

ITA WLA MT TFLers? (Is Their Anyone Who Likes Acronyms More Than The Fresh Loafers?)

What is (are) your favorite(s) MVD(s)??? I'm trying to streamline my market lineup to 6 or at most 8 wheat-based doughs. I'm trying to primarily pick doughs that are well suited to making multiple products.

So far I'm looking at:

GregS's picture

How to strengthen pain de mie?

November 30, 2011 - 12:28pm -- GregS
Forums: 

My pain de mie slices are soft and tasty, but they break apart easily and when sliced and toasted, shower crumbs like mad. What could I do to toughen up the loaves to make slices sturdy enough to carry in school lunches and "bound" tightly enough to reduce the crumb fallout? I've shifted from AP flour to bread flour on one try. It was a bit tougher, but not much improved.

I'm using the KA recipe:
3C  AP flour
2 1/4T instant yeast
1C rolled oats
1 1/2T salt
4T butter
3T honey
1C water

Sheps's picture

Everything is too crusty!

November 30, 2011 - 5:54am -- Sheps
Forums: 

Hello all!

Having just pulled yet another crusty loaf out of the oven, I'm wondering what I might be doing wrong. You see, it seems that whatever I bake, be it cake, bread, muffins... and whichever recipe I follow, I always get a crust that is a little thicker than I would care for. This is not only the exposed part of the bread (or muffin etc), but also the part that is inside any pan I might use.

Barbarainnc's picture

Pot Stickers

November 29, 2011 - 11:57am -- Barbarainnc
Forums: 

There is a blog on here about pot stickers. I'm looking for another type of pot sticker dough. It has cake flour and all purpose flour in them along with eggs, water and sea salt. Anybody have a recipe like these?? Thanks for helping me out. :) :)

foodslut's picture

Beer instead of water for poolish?

November 29, 2011 - 9:58am -- foodslut
Forums: 

Here's my formula for a beer bread I make from time to time:

Question:  I typically use the beer to make the poolish instead of the water to jack up the flavour of the pre-ferment.  The results have always been good (which I guess is the ultimate guide), but could it be better if I used the water instead?

Thanks!

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - General