The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

General

Any type of bread that doesn't fall into the other buckets: herb breads, sandwich breads, fruit and nut breads, anything else you enjoy.

mr_goodwrench's picture

First shot at Cuban bread

May 6, 2012 - 2:18pm -- mr_goodwrench
Forums: 

One of our favorite sandwiches are Cubans. We have made them numerous times with different types of bread. When we lived in Syracuse, there wasn't anywhere that I had found that carried Cuban bread, so we made it with whatever we could get. Since moving to Atlanta, Cuban bread can even be found in your local Publix bakery. My wife decided that we would make them last week and I thought that I should be able to make it at home instead of buying it (wish I had thought of that a few years ago back in NY...)

metropical's picture

Bread storage

May 3, 2012 - 7:25am -- metropical
Forums: 

curious what others use for bread storage.

The multigrain loaf I make will sometimes be around a week.

In the winter that is not much of a problem, but as the weather warms, the amount of time the loaf can be left "out" is shorter, before penicillin starts to grow.

Normally, the loaf is in an open plastic bag, not one of "breathing" bread bags, just a shopper.  That is fine for perhaps 4 days, but then it goes into the fridge and of course, the consistancy of the loaf changes a lot.

Anyone with other ideas for warm weather storage?

Anonymous baker's picture

Question: How to get maximum banana flavour into a (non-quick-bread) banana bread?

May 2, 2012 - 8:44am -- Anonymous baker (not verified)
Forums: 

I'm going to make a sourdough banana (maybe banana nut) bread that's not a quick-bread.

• Some of the banana will be dried/dehydrated banana, which has an intense banana flavour (added to final dough(and maybe the preferment))
  • Some of the banana will be very ripe, pureed banana (added to final dough (and maybe preferment))

Re:preferment.

Anonymous baker's picture

BBGA Format : 2009 is the latest version.

April 30, 2012 - 11:51am -- Anonymous baker (not verified)
Forums: 

I emailed the BBGA about their 2009 format guidelines.

I wanted to know if there's a more recent version than the format formatting guidelines posted here: http://www.bbga.org/bread/formula_formatting

Short answer: No.

Laverne Dicker,  Director of BBGA Membership Services, responded:

Grenage's picture

I can taste.... salt

April 30, 2012 - 4:27am -- Grenage
Forums: 

Howdy again!

I used to put 1% salt into my loaves, but after recommendations, moved up to 2%; this has helped slow down the sourdough yeast, which is what I really needed.  The problem now is that I can taste the salt, which for me is generally an indicator that I've added too much.

I 'was' using table salt (don't hate me), but last night I bought some rock salt and used a Pestle & Mortar.  The results were much better, but I can still taste salt - albeit not as much.

mr_goodwrench's picture

Made My Day

April 29, 2012 - 2:30pm -- mr_goodwrench
Forums: 

So, I was a bit bummed this afternoon as I was slicing my loaves of whole wheat sandwich bread and discovering the tunnel down the center (I am attributing this to my loaf formation and possibly a too long proof time...) As I handed a slice to my wife to try, she informed me that our daughter's best friend told her that she was jealous of the homemade bread that her sandwiches are made from. Definitely lifted my spirits!

leostrog's picture

Rye-wheat scalded (mashed) sourdough bread with dried fruit powders

April 28, 2012 - 10:13am -- leostrog
Forums: 

I found the recipe of this bread in Livejournal (it's written in Russian). The author uses apple powder, very rich in natural apple pectin.
Scientific ground for using fruit powders and quantities were taken from article http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3032915/ .This recipe has two main and very interesting points:
A. Using fruit powder as a source of digestive fibers(that have great health benefits), fruit acids and fruit saccarides and rich phenolic antioxidants content.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - General