The Fresh Loaf

News & Information for Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts

ExperimentalBaker's blog

  • Pin It
ExperimentalBaker's picture
ExperimentalBaker

Baked my first San Joaquin Sourdough based on http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/24078/san-joaquin-sourdough-update (Thanks to David!)

I reduced the hydration to 70% instead of 75% since I am not comfortable with high hydration dough yet.

My shaping has room for improvement.

Crumb shot.

 

Flavour-wise, it is fantastic!

ExperimentalBaker's picture
ExperimentalBaker

Used the middle-class brioche recipe for this bake with some changes.

1) I divided the dough into 3 portions - original, 4% matcha powder added, 8% cocoa powder added. I shaped them into rectangles and put one layer on top of the other, then rolled them up into a log shape and placed it into a loaf tin.

2) I did not put in fridge after developing the dough, which I regretted because the dough was very very soft.

3) I added 1 tsp of vanilla extract

The dough was overproofed because my wife was baking her cakes.

I find the matcha and chocolate flavour a tad weak. And because of the added flavours, my expectation before taking the first bite is that it should be sweet, but it isn't. Will use a sweet dough recipe for such flavours in the future.

ExperimentalBaker's picture
ExperimentalBaker

 

Recipe is based on http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/20623/pumpkin-brioche-dough-based-lazy-man039s-brioche

I baked two loaves. One without chocolate chips, one with.

 

ExperimentalBaker's picture
ExperimentalBaker

Recipe is from Peter Reinhart's Artisan Bread.

Some changes

1) 10% whole wheat flour

2) 10% whole spelt flour

3) 5 types of nuts/seeds of equal weight - pumpkin, sunflower, flax, pine, sesame.

4) More pumpkin seeds were added to the top of the loaf after shaping instead of the suggested sesame seeds.

 

Dough was in the fridge from Wednesday night to Friday evening.

After shaping, it was proofed in a loaf tin for 2 hours.

ExperimentalBaker's picture
ExperimentalBaker

This is very similar to the transitional wholewheat bread that I baked last week.

Only 2 changes:

1) I used my own sprouted wheat berries and grind them using the vita-mix blender after drying them in the oven at 80C (lowest temp my oven can go).

2) I reduce the amount of commercial yeast to 2g.

I find that the gluten network is not as supportive (holding its shape) but still extensible, most probably due to the sprouted berries. That's why I baked it in a loaf tin instead of free form.

ExperimentalBaker's picture
ExperimentalBaker

Adapted from the recipe, this bread is 50% whole wheat flour and 50% bread flour.

Changes:

1) Instead of biga, I used a white sourdough. 

2) Added 25g water more into final dough because I find it too dry. So total hydration is close to 70%.

3) Instead of kneading after using the mixer, I used stretch and fold.

4) I proofed until I pass the "finger poke" test instead of looking at the size or clock because I don't know how to gauge the size using the round cane banneton.

5) Baked it in a pre-heated oven with a pre-heated sassafras la cloche. 20 mins with cover, 15 mins without cover until internal temperature of 96C.

 

 

 

The next time I bake this, I will omit the yeast in the final dough and add in some seeds to the final dough.

 

ExperimentalBaker's picture
ExperimentalBaker

Found the recipe from TFL (from JMonkey) using "discarded" starter.

http://www.thefreshloaf.com/handbook/whole-wheat-sourdough-waffles

Changed the melted butter/vegetable oil to coconut oil. Added a bit of vanilla extract as well.

Used a stovetop waffle maker from HappyCall (a Korean brand).

1st time making them. Not too bad. But because of the high humidity here, they turn soft very fast. Enjoyed eating a few pieces off the cooling rack while they're still crispy.

Happy Sunday.

 

ExperimentalBaker's picture
ExperimentalBaker

 

Bagels ended very dark due to too much roasted barley malt flour. I added 10g for the 300g bread flour (for 4 bagels).

Process is from http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/25154/hand-made-bagelsreally

Because of their color, they really look like s*** when I pre-shape them into 10 inch rolls. :)

 

Updated post with crumb shot:

 

 

 

 

ExperimentalBaker's picture
ExperimentalBaker

Based on http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/37928/oat-porridge-bread-tartine-book-3

I included the 7% wheat germ. Hydration stayed as 75% instead of the 82%.

I used water that was used to sprout my wheat berries.

Couldn't shape the dough well because it's just sticking to my ikea kneading board.

Did 8 stretch and fold. I can lift the dough out of my stainless steel bowl without the dough sticking to the bowl, so I presume the gluten is developed.

Very low profile bread with irregular holes. Translucent crumb.

Need to practise more on shaping high hydration dough.

Baked it in a cold oven, using a la cloche. 240C for the first 40 mins (oven took 15 mins to reach 240C). Uncovered and lowered temperature to 230C for another 15 mins.

ExperimentalBaker's picture
ExperimentalBaker

 

After watching British Bake Off on cable, have to try it.

Added herbs infused olive oil instead of normal olive oil.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - ExperimentalBaker's blog