The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

Sourdough and Starters

Capturing the wild yeasts.

Hither Green Cooks and Bakes's picture

New starter advice please

January 27, 2014 - 1:35am -- Hither Green Co...

Hi Everyone,

Been making up my Sourdough Starter following the River Cottage (UK) book: equal portions of flour/water, discarding half each day for first few days etc.... usual thing I think. 

After whisking each evening I am finding my starter highly separated by morning. Is this normal. The starter looks pretty active: lots of small air bubbles fizzing up the sides of the glass when I gently tilt it, for example. 

Should I just be whisking this liquid back in or pouring it off? 

tomasd's picture

hydration of recipe I am using

January 27, 2014 - 12:18am -- tomasd

Hi,

I have a basic sourdough recipe from this forum (the sourdough 101 a tutorial) as follows:

Starter:

115g Starter: I maintain at 75% hydration

128g flour

60g water

Dough:

575g flour

15g salt

360g water 

Giving totals of: 

Flour: 769g

Water: 469g

Which is 60% hydration 

So getting slowly to my question, I use a T65 flour that for yeasted bread I would use at a minimum of 72% but normally 75% hydration.

Are sourdoughs generally lower hydration? 

ElPanadero's picture

Holey Moley

January 25, 2014 - 1:05pm -- ElPanadero

Some advice needed please.

Last couple of loaves have had holes like these which I initially thought was my failure to de-gas/knock back however I took extra time here to ensure I pressed out any large pockets at the shaping stage.  I'm guessing therefore this is a result of the hydration and proofing times?

These were the Pain Natural and Pain Rustique loaves from weekendbakery.com

http://www.weekendbakery.com/posts/sourdough-pain-naturel/

rexineffect's picture

Timing bread rise+proof from starter rises

January 23, 2014 - 4:14pm -- rexineffect

I have problems with over/under proofing my sourdough breads.

To me, it seems like I could use the information gathered from feeding my starter out on my counter and apply it to my bread:

For example....

My starter takes 6 hours to rise completely, at 7 hours it is JUST begining to fall.

So based on that when I make bread with this starter, around the same ration or starter-to-flour, how should I set up my rise and proofing?

Drink's picture

Best way to maintain and keep a helthy starter in 30C/86F temps

January 23, 2014 - 1:46pm -- Drink

Hi I live in Sao Paulo Brazil and have a good starter going which i have been baking with 3 times a week for a few months now.

I am having trouble with feeding schedules and knowing if it's best to leave the starter at room temp (25c-33c) or leave it in the fridge between bakings.

At the moment the starter is kept at 100% hydration and in less than four hours after a feed it's raring to go and passes the water float test. 12 hours after a feeding it turns back into a soupy liquid.

cappy's picture

sourdough starter help please!!

January 22, 2014 - 9:23am -- cappy

does anyone  have a sourdough starter in or near Fresno,  CA?? I just got a gift of a bread machine and the packaged stuff just isn't the same as fresh.  Or, does anyone want to explain to me about starting my own starter?  I'd MUCH prefer someone else's tried and true product... Help please!! 

A new  disabled amateur bread maker!! :)

MikeRook's picture

Did I mess up my Tartine starter?

January 17, 2014 - 5:57am -- MikeRook

This is my first time doing the Tartine leaven process. I have been following the book very carefully but wonder if I messed up with my first feeding?  When I created the starter I used 50% central milling artisan craft and 50% whole wheat. I used water at about 79 degrees. Within 2 days the starter was very active and rose a nice 80%.

tomasd's picture

first sourdough - am I missing something

January 16, 2014 - 7:13am -- tomasd

Hi all

Another sourdough newbie lost and confused! 

I have been baking bread successfully for a good while and wanted to venture into sourdoughs.

I made my first stater 8 days ago using 1:1 MDC Tradition flour and water, and have been feeding it twice a day 1:1:1. It is chilly here but the starter is easily doubling in 4 to 5 hours.

Last night I decided to try it out for baking my first loaf: I put 100g of starter (100%) into an autolysed dough (450g flour and 320g water) to give a final hydration of 70% with 10g salt.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Sourdough and Starters