The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

Sourdough and Starters

Capturing the wild yeasts.

christinepi's picture

weak starter?

January 8, 2014 - 7:15pm -- christinepi

I've tried ca 7 different sourdough recipes that all produced bricks. No oven spring whatsoever. My starter appeared to be healthy, and though I followed the recipes carefully, the results were awful. Then I tried ABin5, and things started getting better, and then Peter Reinhart's Lean Bread recipe (both yeast based, no starter); and I finally understood what people are talking about then they say "oven spring". 

loribe's picture

activating a dehydrated starter ... gone green

January 8, 2014 - 7:24am -- loribe

Hi friends - I keep a small stash of dehydrated starters on hand ...haven't baked in a while.  The other day I decided to activate 2 different starters ...both have been in storage for about 2 years.  They both started beautifully.

The first starter is now at 60 hours and beginning to double in volume ...no problems.

Bakingmadtoo's picture

To discard or not?

January 2, 2014 - 10:00am -- Bakingmadtoo

A question that came up the other day. I try not to discard any starter. I keep just small amounts in the fridge. I bake a couple of times a week. I build the small amount I keep into enough for my recipe plus a small amount to go back in the fridge.

Another friend who bakes was showing a friend who works as a chef in a Michelin starred restaurant her starter, he sniffed it and asked her if she ever discarded any, telling her she should discard some regularly.

dickeytt's picture

Rubbery and Chewy White Sourdough Loaf

January 1, 2014 - 4:31am -- dickeytt

Hello Bakers, I wonder if you can help, I am making progress with my sourdough bread making and have made a number of lovely brown loafs, but when I make a white loaf, the centre of the bread is rubbery and chewy.  It also has the taste of crumpets. 

I used the Dan Lepard recipe and quantities for white bread.  The dough proved ok and  I did the 2nd prove in the fridge over night.  I cook it on my new baking stone at 210 C for 50 ish min and it had a lovely crust, but as I said very rubbery inside.

Could anyone provide me with some help on what I am doing wrong?

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Sourdough and Starters