The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

Sourdough and Starters

Capturing the wild yeasts.

crisw's picture

First time sourdough baker- smelly dough?

May 14, 2016 - 3:53pm -- crisw

This is my first time baking with a starter; I have a culture that is growing really well, smelling good, doubling well, etc. However, the dough I made today, that I formed into two loaves that are proofing now, has a very odd, strong smell- something like sour milk. It doesn't smell like the original starter at all. 

I guess I'll try baking them and seeing if they taste OK, but what could be causing the smell?

el_pato_come_pan's picture

starting up a starter

May 12, 2016 - 5:22am -- el_pato_come_pan

dear everyone:

I am sorry to ask something I'm sure has been covered, but my searches turn up too many hits to be useful.

How many days do you need to feed a starter that's been in the refrigerator before you can bake with it again?

It's been in the refrigerator since Saturday; I didn't think I'd have time to bake again but it looks like this weekend I might.

Thank you!

el pato

Kimbolini's picture

What is the diagnosis?!

May 12, 2016 - 3:49am -- Kimbolini

hi guys,

I've been striving after big holed bread for ages.  Most recently I've been trying very gentle dough handling and recipe for Champlain sourdough by Trevor j Wilson which I got off here. 

This pic is of my loaf.  I defo got some holes, but in other ways doesn't feel quite right as bread feels dense in other ways.  Most of the bubbles are at the top.  what does it mean? Have I over/under proofed?

many thanks for your wisdom :)

kim x

paul0130's picture

From hand knead to machine

May 11, 2016 - 9:07pm -- paul0130

Hello,

After a couple of years of hand kneading, I finally went out and got myself a KitchenAid with a dough hook. I've followed a pretty good recipe for my sourdough, but when I hand knead I pretty much add flour until it has a good consistency. I try to get it to where it is just barely sticky. It turns out in the neighborhood of 60% hydration.

Jardack's picture

Sorry peeps, another couple of questions

May 10, 2016 - 2:21pm -- Jardack

I have been reading through the different threads on here and also reading Crust but still wanted to confirm a couple of things.  I really do appreciate all the help so far!  I am passing it all back to my Godmother too as we are both really getting into SD baking.

First question, I started my starter a while ago now and when I tend to top it up every other time with 250g flour and 200g (roughly) of water (I am going on how it looks rather than a confirmed amount) This makes a nice bubbly starter in the jar so I assume this is ok to continue indefinitely like this?

Jardack's picture

Overnight proving, baking @7am question

May 9, 2016 - 12:55pm -- Jardack

Hi all

I've been experimenting midweek with proving overnight on the counter top.  I started using a large bag and leaving in the kitchen but it kept over proving and making a huge need! (Still edible though :) )

I was then proving in the conservatory as it was colder with a tea towel over it which worked ok but now it's warmed up! 

I know when I prove in the fridge overnight it's amazing as I do this at the weekend, but I don't tend to bake it until 11 then and during the week I need to bake at 7 so that I can make lunch boxes up before school...

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Sourdough and Starters