The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

Sourdough and Starters

Capturing the wild yeasts.

benjamin163's picture

How much starter should I use in a dough?

June 7, 2016 - 7:31am -- benjamin163

Hello,

I've been baking sourdough with varying degrees of success for a while now.

One thing I still haven't worked out is the effect using more or less starter has on the loaf.

For instance, I could make a loaf with 500g of ripe 100% starter, 750g of flour and 400g water. 

And I could make a loaf with 200g of ripe 100% starter, 900g of flour and 550g of water.

Both will yield a dough of 65% hydration, right?

myrtleskitchen's picture

My loaf was nice but soft and looked like normal not sourdough loaf

June 4, 2016 - 4:31am -- myrtleskitchen

i am really happy with this but confused.

I used a base recipe of

600 g flour

360 water 

240 starter  

salt and. Cooking oil and a blob of honey 

I was really busy and kneaded in the sunbeam maybe about 7 mins and a light bench knead . Then rest an hour or so and then light stretch and fold or kneads every couple of hours as I remembered 

kanakapriya's picture

Sourdough starter in hot, humid equatorial region

June 2, 2016 - 8:26pm -- kanakapriya

Hello Bread Masters,

I have been lurking around Fresh Load for years and years.  I have learnt a lot from here and made fairly decent pizzas, middle eastern flat breads, bagels, but, not so decent loaves . I am an excellent arm-chair baker though :)

I have an overwhelming desire to make my own starter and bake a sourdough here in Chennai India where the average temperature in any given day crosses 90.

Years of  reading suggests 100 is too hot for sourdough. 

chleba's picture

starter suddenly hyperactive

June 2, 2016 - 8:23pm -- chleba

I have had a fairly benign 100% hydration starter for last several months, feeding it 25% rye, 75% apf.  Feeding 1:3:3 ratio roughly ever 8-12 hours, sometimes it'd be almost 24 hours, but didn't seem to impact strength much.  It just happily chugs along, gets a little bubbly, barely manages to double.  I don't recall brand of flour, bought in bulk, organic, unbleached.  Ingredients were simply wheat. 

EllaInKitchen's picture

Questions about preferment for SD starter

May 31, 2016 - 5:51am -- EllaInKitchen

I started to make sourdough bread a few weeks ago, and I have found my bread too sour especially after it's put there for over 1 days.

I searched around and i see lots of suggestions like avoiding overnight bulk ferment, feeding the SDS more frequently and with higher ratio of fresh flour and water, raising the % of SDS in the whole bread ( ~20%) so that it ferments fast..etc. 

I will try those methods but i have another question: Would preferment make SD bread more sour?

I like preferment because:

Heikjo's picture

Loaves flatter after not using SD starter for two weeks

May 31, 2016 - 3:42am -- Heikjo

I got two SD starters: one white wheat and one organic spelt. I've been using both for a few months and they've been working well. A few weeks ago I went away so I couldn't use them during that time. They were stored in the refrigerator and I think they were fed after about 10 days by my GF. Some days later I got back home and started using them again. First I discarded and fed them one or two times before I started baking.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Sourdough and Starters