The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

Sourdough and Starters

Capturing the wild yeasts.

DaphneG's picture

Reviving a refrigerated starter

June 19, 2016 - 2:17am -- DaphneG

Hello,

I just got started baking my own bread with natural leaven following the instructions from Chad Robertson's Tartine Bread book.The first loaves, though far from perfect, were delicious and convinced me to keep baking my own bread regularly.

However I have no time to bake on a regular basis so I decided to refrigerate my starter instead of keeping feeding a starter I only occasionally need (about once a week). Unfortunately I haven't found specific instructions on how to revive it now that I would like to bake again.

Jardack's picture

It's worked!!!

June 18, 2016 - 10:37am -- Jardack

New refreshed starter yesterday, amazing bread today :)

Fingers crossed for tomorrow now!

I've refreshed my starter again, using 100g starter, flour and water.

Let's see what happens next :)

Thank you ask for all  the advice yesterday, I was very disheartened but am happy again now :)

Karen x 

Andrewjs's picture

Creating new starter

June 18, 2016 - 9:05am -- Andrewjs

so I have a 60% hydration rye starter that is 20 % 60-65% and 100%. mother, water, flour. It was actint very nice at 100% hydration, but after the change its now very slow. But the change is still new, so it's still probaly adjusting. Iv been feeding it at 50g of flour. Not sure if I should scale up so I can get the mass effect and possibly get a healthy and taster starter. I just don't want more waste 

i like my bread to be only slighty sour, mostmy in the after taste, nice and nutty and sweet. 

Andrewjs's picture

Calculation troubles

June 16, 2016 - 6:20pm -- Andrewjs

maybe you fresh loafers Can help me with my pore math skills. 

if you have 215 g of leavin in a final levain build and want to build up to that, how do you caculate that If it's 20 percent starter, 60 % water and 100% flour. In other words how much flour water and starter do you need to total 210 grams. Is there an easy way of calculating that?

Andrewjs's picture

Searching for tradition old school style French country loafs.

June 16, 2016 - 3:28pm -- Andrewjs

so iv been baking for 2 months now and am having ok success. Im trying to find some  formulas for traditional pheastant style french/ Italian bread. More so french. 

i mill and sift flour to achieve roughfy 87 % extraction flour, as well as 100 whole wheat. I love the flavor of mostly whole grain bread but love when it's slighty  chewy, mostly tinder. Crunchy crust and some good crumb structure,. I don't like sour bread, I aim for only a hint of sour at the end of the bite. 

jpjhooper's picture

Just received starter

June 15, 2016 - 6:30pm -- jpjhooper

Just received some sourdough starter from King Arthur and was wondering if anyone knew the answer to this. The directions are pretty clear. Feed, 8 to 12, discard half, feed, 2 to 4, cut in half, feed and then another 2 to 4 and then used or refrigerated.

I have to work so if I am not dividing within the 2 to 4 or the 8 to 10 will I ruin it? It says best if used by the 21st but I know they stressed feeding it asap once you received it. Can it wait until the weekend or am I weakening it by waiting longer then I should?

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Sourdough and Starters