The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

Sourdough and Starters

Capturing the wild yeasts.

MonkeyDaddy's picture

Jump starting yeast water.

July 14, 2016 - 6:10am -- MonkeyDaddy

Hi All, 

I haven't posted for a while - hope everybody's doing well.

I've read through about 80% of RonRay's posts about yeast water and I was curious about one of the techniques he mentioned.  He said a very tiny quantity of sourdough culture (I think it was 1/4 teaspoon) could be added to the water and dissolved when the fruit is added to get the yeast culture going.

My question is, what happens to the LAB?  Does the fruit substrate not support them and they die off, or do they stick around and give the yeast water the same sour taste as the sourdough?

_vk's picture

keeping small quantity of starter

July 13, 2016 - 6:19pm -- _vk

Hello.

I started baking using recipes from weekendbakery.com They use to keep a small amount of starter, and aways use a "poolish" to build a preferment. So this is what I've being doing.

But I'm finding recipes asking for larger amounts of starter. So two questions:

1- If I want to build that amount of starter, when should I assume the new starter is ready? At peak rise? Or after it falls down? Why? Should I use  1:1:1 (starter:flour:water) to do that?

adam_smith1992's picture

How many stretch and folds? - dough elasticity and extensiblity

July 13, 2016 - 7:30am -- adam_smith1992

I understand that good sour dough should be both elastic and extensible. I should be able to stretch it far without the gluten breaking, but it still wants to tug back. 

I bake in the UK using 90%white flour 10% Wholemeal  and a 30-60 min autolyse with starter incorporated. the problem i find is after 2/3 fold the dough does not want to be folded, by the third turn of the bowl its formed a ball at the bottom that does not wanted to be folded. so i never know weather i should give the dough the full 4 folds most US SD recipes call for. 

FranciscoA's picture

Stickiest dough you've ever seen.

July 12, 2016 - 8:27am -- FranciscoA

Hi everyone,

I'm learning how to bake sourdough bread and I find it very interesting, however I'm starting to lose my patience with it...

Even after finding many people with my same problem and some nice answers, nothing really works. I have watched many youtube tutorials on how to handle and shape sticky dough but believe me, I have never seen something as sticky as what I'm dealing with right here.

Clover23's picture

Refrigerating Starter

July 10, 2016 - 6:26pm -- Clover23

Help! I'm not a frequent baker, thus have been storing my starter in the fridge between bakings (about once a month). The last time I was able to salvage my rather hard, crusty starter. However, this time my starter has turned to concrete and is very very hard. I leave it in the back of my fridge uncovered in a mason jar. Should I be doing something different so that my starter doesn't turn to a rock? Also, how long can I keep it in the fridge before I should take it out to start feeding again? Thanks!

logan24's picture

Not Sour Enough

July 9, 2016 - 10:24am -- logan24

So, I have read that for a more sour bread to use less starter. I did just that but, the bread was not as sour as others I have made nor the one I made the day before with 5x the starter.

Recipes used:

500g flour

314g water

50g starer

10g salt

500g flour

344g water

250g starter

12g salt

-Mix rest 1 hr, mix it salt and remaining water rest 1 hr and then 4 stretch and fold every 30 min and put into refrigerator.

-First dough was left in fridge for almost 36 hrs then rested 2 hrs before oven

jacmosh's picture

Uneven oven rise and soft bottom

July 8, 2016 - 6:12pm -- jacmosh

Hi There,

I just baked my first loaf of sourdough and I had a couple questions for this group! The dough rose lopsided in the oven and I'm wondering if anyone knows why this would happen? Also, the bottom crust stayed pretty soft, which I thought was unusual? I attached a photo

I baked this loaf at 475 on a bread stone. 

Thanks!

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Sourdough and Starters