The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

Sourdough and Starters

Capturing the wild yeasts.

alixer's picture

Sourdough starter separation

January 18, 2017 - 7:31am -- alixer

So, I live in a warm climate (pacific coast mexico) although it has been colder for the past few days (relatively speaking: 22-24 degrees C) and my new sourdough starter was really active on first night!  Frothy bubbly, sour smelling...but it will not seem to accept new "food".  The new water and flour (equal parts) separate within minutes and just sit at the bottom.  One layer flour, one layer water, and finally one layer of stinky bubbly starter.  I have no idea what is happening...

ztwatson's picture

First Loaf Review

January 17, 2017 - 7:57am -- ztwatson

Hey guys,

I'm hoping to get a little feedback on where I could make improvements. Overall, I found my first loaf to be a success.

I began making my starter on 1/9/17 with 1 part whole wheat, 2 parts white. I don't measure the weights of water and flour. I just try to maintain a certain consistency.

By 1/15/17 the starter was ready (Float tested). I generally followed this guy's advice...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSs8w2AAN2w

Ogi the Yogi's picture

Ken Forkish why so much levain? any suggestions for leftovers?

January 16, 2017 - 5:11pm -- Ogi the Yogi

Hey guys I just made my first Pain de Campagne, I went ahead and follow the recipe. I know have an enormous amount of leftover levain! 

Why did he ask us to make so much levain:

100g levain + 400 g white flour + 100 grams whole wheat + 400 grams of water! = 1000 grams JESUS!

The recipe did ask for a lot of levain 360 grams of levain for the final dough but I still have so much left over! 

What is his reasoning? 

SNK's picture

Flat wholemeal sourdough. What did I do wrong!?

January 16, 2017 - 11:51am -- SNK

Hello there. I am fairly new to sourdough (and this forum), so I apologise if this has been covered somewhere else.

I have been using a TFL pain de campagne with satisfactory results. My oven spring and crumb size is ok, but would like to improve. Scoring is always a bitch, which I thought may be due to under proofing or high hydration.

bennell's picture

Tartine Country Loaf

January 16, 2017 - 11:02am -- bennell

So after getting the Tartine book at Christmas I have been trying my hand at the basic Country Loaf lately. Unfortunately after what I felt was a promising beginning things have not been going to plan. In 4 attempts at least one of the loafs has exploded out of the bottom during baking. Yesterdays attempt saw both loaves explode. I am hoping for some help in figuring out where it is I am going wrong please. 

I am using a slightly altered version of the country loaf recipe. I am using an all white flour 100% hydration starter. 

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Sourdough and Starters