The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

Artisan Baking

The real deal.

KenK's picture

Pain de Grits

November 26, 2009 - 11:31am -- KenK

Thanksgiving is not going as planned; I'm stuck here with a sick and cranky wife.  I made this bread to have something to do more than anything.

I used the Anadama formula from the BBA; with a Southern turn.  I substituted stone ground grits and cane syrup. 

The grits came from an acquaintance of mine that operates a mill.  The next time I see him I plan to inquire as to what kind of wheat he has.  Here is a good article about Mike and his mill.

Salome's picture

How to introduce somebody to baking

November 26, 2009 - 9:43am -- Salome

I baked a bread today. Not exactly as I would normally, as I baked with my room mate's boyfriend, who is an "artist". Meaning, he's very spontaneous and would for instance never use measuring cups or scales. He loves my bread and was very eager to learn some of my skills. The only obstacle: this "scientific" way of baking just doesn't suit him.

How do you deal with people who would like to learn from you, without ever being willing to measure things, follow times ...?

Fly's picture

Too much pre-ferment?

November 26, 2009 - 6:34am -- Fly

I've been having great success using a 100% poolish fermented for 16-18 hours prior to final mixing.  However my loaves leave a little to be desired in terms of final rise and volume.  It occurred to me this morning (too late to do anything about it for today's batch) that perhaps too large a percentage of my flour was prefermented.  A little quick math tells me that the prefermented portion represents 55-60% of the total flour.  The yeast may just be running out of raw flour before they have a chance to lift the final rise.  Am I on the right track?

MasterChef's picture

Best sourdough cultures to buy

November 25, 2009 - 3:31pm -- MasterChef

Hello, i'm from Italy and next month i will fly to NYC for a short vacation.

I would like to start sourdough bread and i'll buy a sourdough culture to be ready when i'm back home.

There are several types of sourdough starter (french, sanfrancisco..) , wich one could be considered the most flavour and easy to mantain ?

It's important to buy  cultures with no flavor additives and  absolutely no  Baker's yeast inside.

You know any place in New yORK ?

Thank You.

patnx2's picture

pate fermentee

November 23, 2009 - 10:22pm -- patnx2

HI I have been making this bread posted by ryeaskrye, I love it and the results. Latly i have been adding rye flour. Last batch @25%. Getting closer to the rlye  I like. I have no dreams of getting the rye bread from 1970's Buffalo, NY but......... Ok the Q. now is if i push the rye % up to 33 what to change?  Water,kneading?   Again thanks to all the great posts and info. Patrick from Modesto

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Artisan Baking