The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

Artisan Baking

The real deal.

albin1e4's picture

Finding my "everyday bread" technique and recipe

November 2, 2009 - 4:17pm -- albin1e4

Hello -

I am attempting to bake a loaf of fresh baked bread most evenings for dinner. The family loves it and the house smells absolutely incredible.

The first technique/recipe I tried is Jim Lahey's No Knead Basic Recipe.

I used an Staub 8 quart La Cocotte to bake the bread. What a beautiful and functional piece of cooking hardware.

The crust was thin and crackly with nice coloring.

dmsnyder's picture

Durum flour as a flavor enhancer @ ehanner

November 2, 2009 - 10:19am -- dmsnyder

Hi, Eric.

In another topic (http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/9943/can-you-turn-semolina-durum-flour#comment-88745), you mentioned using a small amount of durum flour in dough as a flavor enhancer. How much do you use? 5-10%?

Are you using fine durum flour for this or semolina?

This sounds like something I need to try.

David

RobynNZ's picture

THANK YOU ALL

October 27, 2009 - 7:00pm -- RobynNZ

I had the most delicious lunch today, salad all picked from my spring garden accompanied by the first baguettes I've ever made. I wanted to come here and say thank you to everyone, for all the points and tips that helped me gain the confidence to even try. Actually it was watching Steven Sullivan ACME baking with Julia Child in the video Marc linked to the other day, working with his dough, which made me finally decide I could at least give it a go. 

avatrx1's picture

can you punch down and re-proof an overproofed dough?

October 27, 2009 - 1:20pm -- avatrx1

I made 3 loaves today but only had 1 cast iron pot to do them in.  By the time I got around to the 3rd one - doing them one at a time, I think it had overproofed.  I baked it anyway and it's OK, but it didn't get the oven spring I think it should have.

What would be my solution in the future for this type of problem.  This is a large recipe - Mark Sinclairs whole grain.

Can I punch it down and then reshape and re-proof and then bake or is the leavening (in this case - yeast) pretty much done for?

-susie

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Artisan Baking