The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

Artisan Baking

The real deal.

csimmo64's picture

To autolyse or not to autolyse, that is the question.

September 14, 2010 - 7:02pm -- csimmo64

Is it wise to autolyse?

Okay, enough of that but my question is this;

Is it a good idea to utilize the autolyse method for each and every type of bread? What types of textures/changes happen if used and not used? I've recently been using autolyse on every bread at work, and I am liking some of the results.

These are some types of breads that I would like to know if its a good choice to autolyse, for example;

Nickisafoodie's picture

Ciabatta from 1992 NYTimes article: Sarah Black Tom Cat Bakery

September 14, 2010 - 4:48pm -- Nickisafoodie

I found an old newspaper clipping from the New York Times 2/12/92 issue on Ciabatta.  The column by then Food Editor Florence Fabricant was called De Gustibus, a weekly feature in the food section. 

This article features Sarah Black of Tom Cat Bakery in Long Island City, NY.  There are two recipes: 1) Food Processor Ciabatta and 2) "Classic Ciabatta".  Sarah became intrigued by reading about it in "The Italian Baker" by Carol Field (1985).   I recall the "no knead food processor version" to be rather unique at the time this was published.

drtown's picture

Artisan Breads

September 13, 2010 - 6:24pm -- drtown

My wife and I are planning to open a coffee and sandwich shop in south Brazil.

Fresh roasted coffee and gourmet sandwiches.  We want to begin offering four

artisan breads, po-boy or hoagie type, where customers can select their

ingredients.  Beside a basic white and a wheat, what are suggestions from

this illustrious group on artisan breads which would be unique.  Thanks!

amolitor's picture

Loaves appear overproofed, but are not -

September 13, 2010 - 4:38pm -- amolitor

Lately I'm having trouble with scoring. My loaves bake up with the classic underproofed look -- scoring opening up anemically and turning in to basically blond stripes on the top of the loaf. However, I know my dough isn't overproofed, if anything I'm putting it in a bit young (I get bursting out the bottom, stuff like that). Anyways, let's assume my dough isn't overproofed.

What else can cause this?

I think I've ruled out oversteaming (probably, but maybe not).

elcouisto's picture

The Bread Baker's Apprentice Ciabatta recipe...

September 12, 2010 - 6:54pm -- elcouisto

I've tried several times making a Ciabatta using Peter Reinhart's The Bread Baker's Apprentice recipe, but always failed in having a crumb with large irregular holes in it. There's a picture of a Ciabatta in the book, but mine is nowhere near as good looking, particularly the crumb.

The thing is I'm not sure what the problem is... My dough looks good, it ferments alright, I try not to degass it too much when handling, I bake it as explained in the book (I tried with and without steam), etc.

tinmanfrisbie's picture

Ingredients

September 10, 2010 - 10:39am -- tinmanfrisbie

I am going through The Breadmaker's Apprentice and I just did Ciabatta bread and it turned out ok considering it was my first artisan bread I've tried.  He says in the book that he doesn't see much of a difference between Gold medal Better for Bread Flour and King Arthur.  Do you agree?  

Also I could not find SAS yeast but I bought Fleischmann's Rapid Rise Yeast (I don't think it's the same as Active Dry).  I think it's the same type that Reinhart would recommend(instant), but don't know for sure. Anyone know?

bobkay1022's picture

Ciabatta Bread Micro/Convection Oven

September 10, 2010 - 9:49am -- bobkay1022

Finally after ignoring the company's documentation on baking bread with a micro/convection oven I think I have a good batch of bread.

This is from Jasons Quick Ciabatta Bread Recipe on this forum.

I did the normal recipe and put it in the refrigerator for about 10 hrs by 6 am it had tripled. I Fired up the convection oven to 450 that's all it will go. Heated the pizza stone and put 2 loaves on at a time. Closed the door in  1 minute intervals 3 times I sprayed with water and closed the door. Baked for For 12 - 15 minutes. Internal temp 205 degrees F

Ruralidle's picture

Richard Bertinet wins major UK award

September 10, 2010 - 3:19am -- Ruralidle

Richard Bertinet operates a bakery as well as a cookery school from his premises in Bath and his sourdough loaf has just been awarded the UK organic (the Soil Association) food organisation's 2010 award for baked goods.  I have tried his sourdough and I enjoyed it far more than the Poilane offering.

www.soilassociation.org/Default.aspx?TabId=682

Ruralidle

tinmanfrisbie's picture

Ciabatta not browning, help

September 9, 2010 - 3:33pm -- tinmanfrisbie

So I tried making some ciabatta bread from Peter Reinhart's The Breadmaker's Apprentice.  I had to change a few things but am unsure if these were things that ultimately affected the browning.  Considering it was my first artisan bread that I've tried, it tasted pretty good.  Listed below are some of the deviations I made:

1.  Used active dry yeast instead

2.  Did not have a vegetable oil spray on hand, so I used Pam to coat

3.  Had to use the bottom of a large jelly roll pan to cook the bread on instead of a stone

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Artisan Baking