The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

Artisan Baking

The real deal.

Floydm's picture

Krakow Bagels recipe online

October 13, 2010 - 2:38pm -- Floydm

Stan posted this elsewhere here but it is kind of buried at the end of a thread, so I wanted to repeat his message here:

The Wall Street Journal Online picked up our recipe and credits the book ... you can find it at http://online.wsj.com/article_email/SB10001424052748703794104575545843564259642-lMyQjAxMTAwMDEwMjExNDIyWj.html

rodentraiser's picture

Now what am I doing wrong?

October 7, 2010 - 4:38pm -- rodentraiser

I recently tried a recipe for an 80% hydration baguette. Again, since I don't have a scale, I converted to cups and teaspoons and I halved the recipe. The first time, I had waaaaaay too much water in it, but I thought I had halved it wrong and gotten confused between the water and the flour. The second time, I got this:

cex112's picture

Questions on no-knead bread

October 7, 2010 - 8:59am -- cex112

Hi,

I'm pretty new to breadmaking, funnily enough because I think I have a bit of a wheat intolerance. However, having researched how to make better bread I came upon the NY Times 'no knead bread' method and have been using this successfully over the last three weeks, making bread pretty much every day.

But I'd doing some things just because that is 'how it was done' on the video and would like to understand what is going on, so a couple of questions:

AnnaInNC's picture

Rise your dough in the microwave

October 7, 2010 - 4:26am -- AnnaInNC

A quick proof hint for the microwave as seen in a magazine:

Yeast doughs that normally take an hour or more to rise at room temperature can be proofed in the microwave in about 15 minutes. Place the dough in a very large bowl and cover with plastic. Place an 8-ounce cup of water in the back of the microwave with the bowl of dough in the center, and set the power as low as possible (10 percent power). Heat for 3 minutes, then let the dough rest in the microwave for 3 minutes. Heat for 3 minutes longer, then let rest for 6 minutes. The dough will double in bulk.

Felila's picture

The oil makes a difference in ciabatta

October 5, 2010 - 3:56pm -- Felila

For a few months, I was making my everyday ciabatta loaves with cheap supermarket canola oil (approximately 1/4 cup oil + 1-3/4 cup water to hydrate 4-1/2 cups of flour). Bread was OK but not great. Then I splurged on a bottle of organic olive oil from my health-food coop. Bread is a lot tastier. 

D'oh! Of course the oil that has more sediment and a stronger flavor will assert itself in the bread.

elcouisto's picture

I've had to reduce the amount of yeast in most of my recipes recently... May wild yeast be the cause?

October 3, 2010 - 7:37pm -- elcouisto

I've been baking at home for several months already and, recently (it started a month or two ago), I've had to reduce the amount of yeast in most of my recipes because the dough would ferment too rapidly. I've read somewhere (if I recall correctly, it was about King Arthur's bakery) that baking regularly can have this effect, since wild yeast becomes a lot more present in the air.

I'm not baking everyday, but I do bake a minimum of once a week and I'm wondering if anybody else had this happen to them...

thanks!

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Artisan Baking