The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

Artisan Baking

The real deal.

Kingudaroad's picture

Question about bulk fermenting at 55 to 60 degrees

August 7, 2010 - 12:34pm -- Kingudaroad

I am doing some poolish baguettes tomorrow and was thinking about doing the bulk ferment in my wine fridge that can be manually set anywhere between 50 and 60 degrees. I was thinking I could do a longer, slower ferment. My questions are...

Will this have a beneficial outcome to my loaves?

How much longer will it take to ferment at say 55 degrees compared to 72 degrees?

Any input or related experience on the subject would be appreciated.

Keith

txfarmer's picture

Need some bread ideas for a party

August 3, 2010 - 12:17pm -- txfarmer

I am hoping the collective wisdom of TFL would give me some good and creative ideas for a party this coming Sun.

- It's a potluck party hosted by my boss. She lives in a fancy house with huge kitchen and all the nice euqipments so I can do some light baking there if necessary. Other people will bring foods or cook dishes there, so I wouldn't want to hog the whole kitchen.

- She's a fan of my breads, so she has requested me to bring one or two kinds of breads.

- It's a lunch thing, so I won't have a whole lot of time beforehand to get ready

008cats's picture

Humid day, company on way...

August 3, 2010 - 9:29am -- 008cats

Hi! I am baking up some lovely loaves for company tonight, and wondered what would help keep the crust crisp on a humid day.

Room temp is about  80 or so, but basement is about 70 with dehumidifier running.

All boules are variations on basic lean sourdough @ 73% hydration. First one is coming out of oven; any advice for cooling and storing?

Thanks!

dmsnyder's picture

Baguette shaping by Ciril Hitz

August 2, 2010 - 9:54pm -- dmsnyder

Ciril Hitz, cookbook author and instructor at Johnson & Wales has made a marvelous collection of instructional videos. They are on www.YouTube.com. His video on baguette shaping is one of the best I've seen. He goes through each step and each is photographed from several angles

Baguette video

Another video I like focuses on pre-shaping and shaping baguettes, boules and rolls.

MIchael_O's picture

An all round baking calculator

August 1, 2010 - 11:39pm -- MIchael_O

Hello guys and girls,

I am a bit new on this forum, but I wanted to save ya'll some future trouble, by letting you know I just wrote a unique online calculator that calculates hydration, converts between almost anything - for example 4.63 ounces of 125% starter equals how many cups of starter, and has some other functionalities. It is hosted at:

http://www.whatsthesequency.com/cakey.php

Rodger's picture

Sam Fromartz in the Washington Post

July 29, 2010 - 12:26pm -- Rodger

Some of you may have missed the article in Tuesday's Washington Post by our own Sam Fromartz, "Wood Fired Baking with a Master in Vermont."  Sam describes making pizza in a wood fired brick oven under the guidance of Jeffrey Hamelman at a King Arthur Master Class in Norwich, Vermont.  Sign me up!  The article includes a recipe for a skillet-baked yeast-free flatbread that has moved to the front of my list of things to try.

Rodger

mbass7mile's picture

sourdough toast - toughness - browned edges

July 28, 2010 - 1:46pm -- mbass7mile

Why is my bread so tough when I toast it.  It is hard to cut.  Also, the edges brown and toast but the middle does not.  I set it to the darkest "toast"  I am using Peter Reinhart's  recipe for "San Francisco Sourdough" bread from "artisan breads every day."

Also the recipe for soft sandwich bread and rolls from the same book are the best I have ever made, tasted and enjoyed.

jcorlando's picture

Rise time for a No-Knead Ciabatta

July 24, 2010 - 12:17pm -- jcorlando

Chefs,

I making a "No Knead Ciabatta" that calls for an 18 hour rise period.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?=?v=YX_612bmvQI

It's summer here and I keep my condo fairly warm, about 78F - 80F

I notice that after 18 hours it seems to have risen and then fallen in the bowl about 1/2 an inch.

Any thoughts on how long it too long to lt it rise?

Do I want it to rise to the point that it doesn't start to fall?

or should I let it rise in the fridge for a day or 2?

elcouisto's picture

Retarding the dough overnight.. How long do you wait after taking the dough out of the fridge?

July 23, 2010 - 12:48pm -- elcouisto

I've got a question abiout retarding a dough in the fridge and the time it supposedly saves..

How long do you wait before baking once you take your dough out of the fridge? Most of the time I have to let it cool down and benching and proofind requires more time, so the "time saving" really isn't there..

Anything I'm missing?

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Artisan Baking