The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

Artisan Baking

The real deal.

elcouisto's picture

My doughs are very elastic... Reasons?

September 25, 2010 - 11:20pm -- elcouisto

I have this problem with most of my doughs: they're very elastic when shaping my loaves. It gets very problematic when I have to roll it out (with a rolling pin) to shape things like cinnamon buns, or croissants (which totally break since the dough's way too elastic). I mix and knead by hand all the time and I always take care to develop gluten as much as I can, so I'm thinking it may be the problem. I've also read that too much flour may produce this effect, but since I'm using tested recipes, I know it's not that.

What do any of you think? Overkneading? Something else?

Niashi's picture

Rye breads? Very little white rye left!

September 23, 2010 - 6:52pm -- Niashi

Greetings,

So I have a small issue (okay to me, really it's a big issue). It's birthday time for my other half and he reaally likes Rye breads. Great, fine. Problem: I've got only approximately 1.5 cups left of white rye. I have loads of medium rye, dark rye, pumpernickel, first clear, coarse rye meal. Amazingly enough, I cannot find a store in the Seattle area that I can walk into to buy white rye.

gingerbob's picture

Newbie wondering what to do next!

September 22, 2010 - 2:16pm -- gingerbob

Hi.

First off, I am sorry if this has been answered 100 times before, but I couldnt find anything!

I am new to baking bread - and so far loving it! But I am keen to learn more and develop my skills and quality of bread!

I've looked through the very helpful Lessons and the Handbook - but I dont know where to start!

nycbaker11's picture

Noobie trying a high hydration baguette recipe but failed---->

September 21, 2010 - 6:01am -- nycbaker11

Hello Bakers, 

I took a stab at txfarmer's high hydration baguette recipe and I failed miserably.  Dough ended up way too tacky to handle and it didn't rise well.  A couple of things that I think went wrong were I tried to shape the dough right out of the fridge (too cold?) and after baking it looked like skinny ciabatta bread instead of 2" cylindrical baguettes.  I followed the recipe to a tee.   Maybe I left the dough for 2 days in the fridge, was that too long? 

thank you in advance, 

Ray

GSnyde's picture

Traveling with Fermenting Dough

September 20, 2010 - 6:47pm -- GSnyde

Maybe this is a weird question...so I'll ask it.

I will be taking a car trip Friday, and want to be able to bake Saturday at my destination.  A Sourdough with a cold primary fermentation.  Any reason I couldn't put the dough in its bowl in a cooler with Blue Ice, and take it with me?  Does yeast get carsick?  Will a rough road burst the carbon dioxide bubbles?

Thanks for your advice.

Glenn

pipo1000's picture

Baguette Making Video with 80% hydration dough

September 19, 2010 - 10:17am -- pipo1000

Hello,

I was looking for a good baguette recipe after I had tried a few from books and I found two of them on the freshloaf which were very promising. One of them was Akiko's big baguette project and I gave it a try. It took some practice with the 80% hydration dough but after a few takes I got the hang of it. I have made a few little changes to the first recipe of Akiko I tried, but she too has made and tried out a lot of things after my first try.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Artisan Baking