The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

General

bobm1's picture

laminated doughs

September 18, 2010 - 3:04pm -- bobm1
Forums: 

i have been laminating doughs for some time. working cold butter etc. today a chef freind preped croissants for us using softened butter which he spread upon the dough like frosting and then proceeded to lock in. the result was respectably good. has anybody done laminations like this? kinda goes aganst the grain but i'm trying to stay open minded...

mrpeabody's picture

An article on baked baking soda as a substitute for lye...

September 17, 2010 - 9:07am -- mrpeabody
Forums: 

Just curious but I caught an interesting article in the NY Times about alkali ingredients (specifically baking soda and lye).  The author contends that baking baking soda creates a reasonable substitute to lye (while not as strong as lye, baking does make the baking soda stronger than unbaked baking soda).  As a professional geek, I find this very interesting.  I know that there are many here who make their own pretzels and bagels.  Thoughts?

Here is the article:

teketeke's picture

My sourdough diary.

September 9, 2010 - 10:05pm -- teketeke
Forums: 

I really appreciate RobynNZ and Daizy_A and SylviaH who encouraged me a lot to make a sourdough bread. I almost gave up on this. I would not know how good they are if I quit. Thank you so much!( bow)

I never made a starter from scratch.I had a lot of trouble. RobynNZ helped me from A to Z. Thank you for all you work, Robyn. She transfered to Japanese for me when I didn't understand eventhough she was busy and tired she had had such a hard time. Many thanks to you, Robyn.(bow)

isobel gildon's picture

the waiting loaf

September 5, 2010 - 6:34am -- isobel gildon
Forums: 

I bake sourdough using a recipe that gives me two loaves. In order to create steam I bake each loaf under a metal bowl for the first ten minutes, which gives great results. The problem is that the oven only has room for one loaf at a time, when the bowl is there, so the second loaf has to wait til the first has baked. This means that it tends to overprove. What would be the best thing to do with it whilst I'm waiting? Should I put it in the fridge or just a cooler room - our kitchen is warm as the stove is an Aga and is on all the time. I would welcome any thoughts.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - General