The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

General

leahweinberg's picture

Horror Story: when I confused the windex for my shpritser

August 25, 2010 - 2:57am -- leahweinberg
Forums: 

It was Tuesday morning. I was at a wedding last night until 2 am so it's no surprise that I made this mistake. I guess it could happen to anyone. I just didn't expect it to happen to me. 

I woke up groggy- but with one thought going through my mind- "must. bake. bread". I've had the dough all ready to go, sitting in my fridge now for a few days. Still in my pjs, I dumped the dough out and started shaping it into one large boule. I turned on the oven and made myself some coffee. 

carnub's picture

Silver specks on crust

August 24, 2010 - 1:01am -- carnub
Forums: 

I have just acquired a used industrial oven and started baking in it over the weekend. It was pretty dirty inside and had to use of lot of chemical cleaner (It is 17 years old and seen a lot of use - not exclusively bread).

After baking a few loaves, I've noticed that the exposed crust is covered with silver specks (couldn't photograph it - they are small), something like glitter. The baking paper was dusted liberally with a slightly coarse semolina flour.

mauiman's picture

Yeast

August 22, 2010 - 2:30pm -- mauiman
Forums: 

I'm quite new to baking and my experience so far is limited to my attempts to create the perfect pizza dough.  This includes the use of bread flour, 00 flour and making my own sour dough starter. 

gene wild's picture

bread knives

August 21, 2010 - 7:45pm -- gene wild
Forums: 

I've been baking bread---and hanging out on this sight ---for about 6 months. I recently decided it was time to get a good bread knife. In my surch for the perfect knife I came across a small company in FridayHarbor Washington. I ordered a knife from them and all I can say is that it is almost to pretty to use but slices so well that it demands being used. I highly reccomend anyone looking for a good bread knife check out www.betterbreadknife.com .

socurly's picture

Growing yeast

August 19, 2010 - 9:07pm -- socurly
Forums: 

My mother said in the old days they would make a yeast starter by simply leaving equal amounts of flour and water in a bowl and cover with a clean cloth.  So I tried this and it has  bubbled after a few days but it smells like vomit.  The whole kitchen smells bad.  Does anyone have any input. I am not sure it should smell like this.  

chetc's picture

Corn bread

August 18, 2010 - 4:53am -- chetc
Forums: 

Over the last few years on & off I try to make corn muffins or corn bread, I have purchased some good ones but never could bake a good one, either they were to cake type or too dry and fell apart, not much flavor, Wonder if any one here has conquered a good corn muffin or corn bread.

thanks

Chet

teketeke's picture

Japanese sandwich bread

August 15, 2010 - 3:17am -- teketeke
Forums: 

Update:  3/1/2011

I haven't been satisfied with my old version sandwich bread because I smell strong yeast in the bread and the loaf was dry quickly. I have been working on my recipe to improve.  This sandwich loaf is my favorite.  I hope you will like it too.

Japanese sandwich bread

写真 

benjamin's picture

an appeal for help!

August 13, 2010 - 7:28pm -- benjamin
Forums: 

Hi everyone,

this is a last ditch appeal for help! My girlfriend and I are staying with her parents for the weekend, and we are supposed to bring a cheesecake to a dinner party on Sunday. I wanted to make the cheesecake from Suas advanced bread and pastry, however I forgot to pack the book before leaving home! I was wondering if anyone out there with the textbook would be willing to take the time to write out the formula and proceedure for me an send me in a message. I realize this is not a fun task, but it would be hugely appreciated!

thanks in advance,

Ben

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - General