This weekend was a "disaster" in terms of baking waste. I don't even recall what I was trying to bake, but I got distracted and used the wrong quantity of water. I determined this because the autolyse was very dry and when I weighed my container it was short by a whole lot. Unfortunately, it was not possible to incorporate the missing water at this point. I tried to overcome the problem with time, and eventually the pools of water in my dough bucket began to subside and I had a crappy looking dough that felt awful. More time passed and it seemed almost passable except for the tumors of hard matter which I can only assume were clumps of drier dough in the mix.
At this point, I had already started down the path of making the Forkish Double Fed Sweet Levain bread and given the huge quantities of discard that he calls for, I had enough to make four loaves by the end of the second feeding. (I did not do a full forkish feeding for the first one, but did so for the second). When I got to adding the salt to the Sweet Levain dough, I realized I forgot to add it to the first dough disaster I had created, so I just dumped the mess into the trash and said, good riddance. I promise to have my notebook nearby next time I bake so I can keep better track of things.
Anyway, back to the double fed sweet levain bread -- his process calls for 1/2 tsp of yeast, he says, because the levain he uses is not particularly active, having been recently fed before mixing. I decided to experiment and skip the yeast for the first batch and then add the yeast for the second batch. The second batch also contained rye and more ground white whole wheat.
The dough is supposed to grow 2-2.5 times in size, and the one with the yeast, which was started nearly an hour after the one without, rose admirably and allowed me to shape and put in the fridge before bed. The second set of dough started an hour earlier and without the yeast was barely budging, I think it came to just above 1 liter in the cambro container when it started just below 1 liter. I had no idea how long it would take to get to nearly 3 liters, but I put the bucket in the pantry which is a bit cooler than the kitchen this time of year, and went to bed.
In the morning, my shaped and yeasted dough had grown quite a bit in the baskets and were ready to bake first thing (6:30 a.m.). I had added rolled oats to the proofing baskets and even sprinkled them around the perimeter of the dough, in addition to using rice flour. These babies dropped out without leaving any bits behind FINALLY!
The loaves baked up very nicely though they did not open up much.
And, as you can see, the crumb is beautiful. It is very soft. No sourness at all. Just lovely to eat.
Even though it was baked fresh that day, I decided to make some grilled cheese for dinner. I have been using my cast iron skillets to grill my sandwich, using the second skillet as a panini press. This makes the bread toast up beautifully. I am using coconut oil and cheddar. Yum!